trad hunting from pop-up blinds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trad hunting from pop-up blinds

how many of you do this and how well does it workout for you? i have never shot a trad bow from a pop-up blind, especially one that has the shoot through netting over the windows. i'm going to hunt in South Texas this year and i'm going to be limited to shooting from ground level. a popup blind seems the best approach i think.

appreciate any feedback.....

I love hunting out of ground blinds. Make sure you buy a tall one. There are several models out there in the 80" tall range.

Comment

yikes.... didn't think of the height thing. i'm only 5'9 and can shoot sitting, but i can see where something taller would be beneficial. so the one i'm looking at is only 61" tall...

do you know of one that is 80" tall?

hmmmm... now you got me thinking.

Comment

pop-up blinds are great, I have a few my favorite is the Rhino blind. really love it on those cold rainy days.

Comment

Here's how I dealt with the height problem. I only had to raise a standard pop up 6" to comfortably shoot my longbow without canting too much.

Comment

I use my 56" recurve for pop up blinds. Normally the roof is too low and the windows too high for my longbows. I can make it work but its hard not to touch the sides and make noise.

Comment

I have a 54" Wildcatt and I can shoot no problem out of a pop up. But that is why I bought that bow lol.

Comment

my recurve is fairly short as well, so i don't know how much of a problem it would be, but taller head space does sound good anyway.

john, your 2x6 idea is excellent! i think i can pull that off actually...

Comment

Originally posted by TimH View Post
                  my recurve is fairly short as well, so i don't know how much of a problem it would be, but taller head space does sound good anyway.

john, your 2x6 idea is excellent! i think i can pull that off actually...
                  Just a little thought, make sure the 2x6 'stand' wont put your windows too high to shoot out of. It shouldnt, but I wanted to mention that anyhow.

Comment

I am going to try one of these this year on public land....stay tuned 60" - 88"

Comment

Popup blinds are OK but you really have to watch what you are doing or you will hit the blind when you shoot and mess up your shot. I hunt south also and almost exclusively hunt out of ground blinds. I make my own out of cattle panels and astroturf carpet. They are way bigger rhan your average popup blind and the windows are custom cut to where I want them. Also, I use the netting in every ground blind I have. It has postitves and negatives, but I think the +'s outweigh the -'s.

Bisch

Comment

We use double bulls biggest blind with no trouble

Comment

I find that i have to severely cant my longbow while in most groundblinds. One of these days I'm gona buy a tall one. In the meantime, I have a little 52" recurve coming that is only 48" tip to tip when strung.

Comment

I just bought a Big Mike blind from gander mt and im super pleased with it. Its 80" tall and you can shoot standing or sitting.

Clay

Comment

And I forgot to say it only cost $150 where the others are much more expensive. Plus its made well and will last as long as the others will if you take care of it.

Clay

Comment

Working...
                              X