Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bowtuning... what would you do with this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bowtuning... what would you do with this?

If I follow Adcock's bow tuning recommendations about the arrow contact being even with the center of the low point in the grip, should i bother with it in my setup, or not. This is my Bobbcatt recurve that I bought used from a guy and this is how it came. If Bob set it up this way before it left his shop, then i'm inclined to leave it as is.

What say y'all on this? As you can see, my arrow point of contact on the shelf is not even with the low point in the grip.
    Attached Files

I'd move it back some

Comment

I say, does it shoot where you look like all Sarrels bows? If it does the guy must have tuned it right. At least for him. It looks like something is stuck under the rug.

Comment

If its shooting good leave it! If not pull that out and restick the Velcro or whatever rug rest you want to stick on the shelf and readjust nock point. Bobs bows shoot good without that do to the radius cut shelf. I don't use that on my trad bows unless the shelf is flat(usually made that way on some of my older bows)!

Comment

Let the bow tell you what it needs. Then I'd do the "Shootibility" to it, so it shoots exactly where I'm looking.
          That's not a lot of radius on the shelf. Maybe the arrows the guy chose, had to be raised like that?

Comment

i can't nail it down exactly, but my gut tells me it can shoot better. i'm seeing some erratic flight behavior with random broadhead shots, even though they shoot the same most of the time.

Greywolf, can you explain what you mean by 'shootability?'

Comment

If I was going to have the piece under the rug rest, I would move it back till it was over the deepest part of the grip (about where the accent stripe is in the riser). I own several Sarrels bows and have not found that I need to do that on any of them.

Bisch
              Last edited by Bisch; 09-01-2013, 08:47 PM.

Comment

I went ahead and pulled all that off and put down some really thin felt on the shelf and the side plate. Arrow makes point of contact about even with the low point of the grip now.

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                If I was going to have the piece under the rug rest, I would move it back till it was over the deepest part of the grip (about where the accent stripe is in the riser). I own several Sarrels bows and have not found that I need to do that on any of them.

Bisch
                Since you own several of Bob's bows, what brace height have you found to be the sweetest on your recurves?

Comment

Sent you a PM Tim

Comment

On a radiuas grip most bowyers put the high point of the shelf in the center of the riser instead of the deepest part of the handle.

In a lot of cases if you put the strike plate in the deepest part of the handle you will be on the down hill side of the shelf and have to clear the self with the arrow.

Here is what I do. If the high point is at the deepest point in the grip I put my side strike plate there. It the shelf is flat I again put the strike plate at the deepest part of the handle.

If the high point of the self is any where else I put the side strike plate at that point.

I read Fred Asbell's Shooting Instinctly book. In he tells of the importantance of the sight window needing to be radiused (sp?) also. Funny thing is I own two of his recurves and they are not radiused. ;-)

Comment

Got it all fixed up well I think. Added some string silencers, moved brace height to 8.5" and bumped the nock point to almost 5/8. Playing around with tip weight now. So far 125gr are shooting best on my 35/55 GT.

Comment

Originally posted by TimH View Post
                        I went ahead and pulled all that off and put down some really thin felt on the shelf and the side plate. Arrow makes point of contact about even with the low point of the grip now.

Since you own several of Bob's bows, what brace height have you found to be the sweetest on your recurves?
                        All I have now is the take down Bobcatt recurve. Mine likes an 8" BH. It has been several years since I have had a one piece recurve and I do not remember exactly what BH I had on it. I'm sure it was somewhere between 7 1/4" and 8" though. That seems to be the range that all my bows end up in.

Bisch

Comment

8.5 brace height might be a little too high...try lowering it between 7-3/4 to 8"

Comment

I recommend 7.75 to 8.25.. Each bow is different. What length is your Bobbcatt.

Comment

Originally posted by bob sarrels View Post
                              I recommend 7.75 to 8.25.. Each bow is different. What length is your Bobbcatt.
                              It's 62"

Comment

Working...
                              X