Left eye/right handed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cheree03 View Post
    I have a cross dominance issue and bought my first bow last year. I bought a right handed bow thinking I could overcome the left eye dominance issue easily. I shoot guns right handed and I have no issues with accuracy at all. However I cannot seem to get my arrows to land consistently and I am getting more and more frustrated. Ive invested in this bow and if I choose to switch to a left handed bow I can learn again BUT the thought of the money is frustrating... Would a different sight help?
    I am not sure if you are using a sight, but my son is shooting a longbow without and sights, so I can not comment about that part of it.

He is shooting pretty well when he does it right, so at the current time he is staying right handed shooting.

Comment

I am right handed and when I test my eye dominance my right eye proves to be dominant. However when I shoot a shotgun or my bow it seems my brain thinks "something is obstructing the right eye so I need to switch to depend on the left eye." I squint my left eye a little when I shoot my bow.

Comment

I am generally left eye dominate and right handed, but my eye dominance tends
        to flip back and forth. When I shoot my bow right handed I close my left eye
        as I start my draw, then open it and I'll remain right eye dominate during the
        shot. If I fail to do that on every shot (usually when I get tired out) my
        consistency suffers. (that's my story and I'm sticking' to it)

I tried to shoot left handed, but I was too old and set in my ways, but my
        son, who is left eye/right hand, switched at about 12 and his shooting
        improved immediately when he switched.

In his book "Instinctive Archery Insights", Jay Kidwell makes the point that
        eye dominance makes no difference.

Every individual is different and what works for one may or may not work
        for someone else.

Comment

Some people can be left dominate and shoot right and verse visa, it all depends on the person.
          as a Instructor I had to learn to shoot left handed, so I could instruct my students, I'd stand a "mirror" them, this form of instruction has worked very well, as they look at me they see the proper form, release and follow though.

And I have had some that worked better if they switched to dominate side, one gentleman that lost his left eye in a chemical accident wanted to shoot a bow, he was left handed to the max, no amount of trying was doing any good. so I said ok, let go the range and we'll "get it for ya" without the blessing of depth of perception, He was able to shoot left handed.
          This also was the dawn of my shooting method I teach new archers the "3-10-5-20 method".

Sometime ya "got to do, what ya got to do, to get it done"

Comment

I shoot a gun left handed and shoot my bow right handed. I write, throw, kick all from the right side. I don't think I could pull my bow back left handed. It can be done, but he really has to pay attention to form and anchor point. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I am RH/left eye dominant. I got the advice to shoot left handed when I began and did so for several years. I got pretty accurate with a compound and recurve shooting left handed. However, when I dreamed of shooting it was always right handed even though for years I shot left handed and never even shot right handed. Shooting left handed was always so automated for me and I felt like a machine. I finally gave in and bought a right handed longbow and it just feels natural. It doesn't feel so awkward and automated. I can't hit squat past 12 yards though

Comment

"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

Comment

Working...
                X