Garden Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garden Question

I’ve got three raised beds that came with a new house. Is it too late to plant anything for the summer? I have tomatoes, three different peppers, cucumbers, squash and zucchini that we planted about 6 weeks ago and they are doing well. Have room for more if it’s not too late.

Depends where you are located. Here in Houston we keep a garden most of the year.

Comment

South Austin so probably similar to you I’m guessing.

Comment

Let me rephrase my question. What can I plant right now?

Comment

Okra likes it hot, and the Yard long green beans from Burpee tolerate the summer heat surprisingly well, They are a climbing vine bean so you will need a trellis or something for them to climb.

Comment

okra

Comment

Sounds like I need to hunt down some okra plants

Comment

Just plant some okra seeds. Plenty of time in the summer left to get some okra grown and producing.

Comment

When selling for market I continuously rotated purplehull peas, summer squash, and zuchini. Many varieties of peppers produce throughout the summer, but they only needed planting once. Okra loves it hot, so that would work. I've always had limited success with tomatoes after July 4 as they stop setting new fruit when temps get above 92 in the day and stay above 72 at night. I've tried the high-heat varieties with limited success.

Aug 1 is a good plant date for a fall garden of peppers, squash, tomatoes, beans, etc. You could even plant your tubers and greens then.

Comment

Originally posted by brysdad View Post
                    Sounds like I need to hunt down some okra plants
                    Seeds are better this time of year. Okra plants don't transplant well, especially when it's already hot.

Comment

Working...
                    X