Help me build my elk arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by enewman View Post
    nothing wrong with what your doing. there are ways to see if the spine is reacting correctly.

one you can take several bare shafts with different tip weights. set bow up to stating point. back up 10 feet. shoot each arrow through paper. the one with the tear closet to a bullet hole is the arrow reacting the best with that tip weight.

second you can take your bow at starting point and shoot one fletched arrow and one bare shaft and shoot at 20 yards. if bare is low nock high you need more spine. if its high and nock low need more tip weight. this is dynamic reaction tuning.

problem with some of this tuning is its very important to nock tune first or you can get bad results.

one thing I've seen since I've been testing arrows are they are not spine at what they say. this means programs are off. now how far can the be off i don't know. that is testing I'm still doing. tim gillingham told me .030 my ocd wont let me have that. i don't want more then .010 spine difference between the dozen.
    Nice post

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
        Vap 350 with SS inserts and a 150-175gr head. I'm shooting a very similar spec'd setup to you(I'll be b/t 55-60lbs and 28" from an Obsession Turmoil RZ), and that's the arrow I'm going to be hunting with this fall(elk and mulies if I draw, and TX deer). With a 125gr head I weight components yesterday at 466. Throw a 150 on and you're at 491, 175gr puts you at 516. FOC should be pretty stout.
        Got everything put together with 150gr heads and FOC is 19%. Haven't shot them to get speed yet, so not sure what kind of Momentum and KE I'll have, but I'm betting it'll be good enough for what I've got.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Got everything put together with 150gr heads and FOC is 19%. Haven't shot them to get speed yet, so not sure what kind of Momentum and KE I'll have, but I'm betting it'll be good enough for what I've got.

Sounds like some killer sticks! I ended up building mine. Carbon Express Maxima Reds 350 spine cut to 26.5” with 100g brass insert and 100g head. FOC around 16% total arrow weight at 495g. Both my Defiant and Drenalin shoot these like darts and they will smack the heck out of the Morrell bag target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm thinking they're going to shoot great. Waiting on some 150gr field points to get here so I can give them a test run. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think to the end of the insert/outsert bthey are 27 or 27½". I won't start tuning for them until later in the summer. I'm shooting some light 3d arrows right now.

Comment

After listening to hours of podcast with John Dudley, I think I’m going to keep my foc between 14 and 16% based off what spines best with my arrow. That’s about what he considers an optimum zone and he keep some velocity. Granted he could easily go a lot higher foc and heavier arrow bc he has a 31.5” DL. This coming from a guy that sets his bows up for long range and has no problems killing any animal at 60-70 yards getting pass throughs.

Comment

Nice to see guys going with more aggressive setups, well done gentleman!

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                  Nice to see guys going with more aggressive setups, well done gentleman!

I agree with more aggressive and foc as well as KE and MOM over speed. Just have to make sure you don’t go too far and pas the point of diminishing returns

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                    I agree with more aggressive and foc as well as KE and MOM over speed. Just have to make sure you don’t go too far and pas the point of diminishing returns

Yeah I guess some of us just draw the line in the sand in different places.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                      Yeah I guess some of us just draw the line in the sand in different places.

That’s really what it comes down to. Personal preference and what you feel confident in. I have a 27” draw so I have to draw the line a little sooner. If I had a 29” draw I’d run a little heavier to be at the speed I’m at now and be happy.

But, I’m a firm believer in higher foc for penetration and stability. Kinda depends on the bow and the specs and what you want to do with it. What works for one guy may be too much or too little for another. I am setting my new bow up for 80 yard shots. So I’d like to keep a tad bit of speed so I’m not adjusting the sight so far from 20 to 80. And I can be a few yards off and still be in the kill zone. 450-475 still isn’t a light arrow.

You could always go with a lighter gpi arrow and get more foc and keep the eight the same, but I like super tough arrows that have thicker walls. Again, personal preference.

Comment

I'm looking at the RMS Cutthroat Single bevels. Lifetime guaranteed and not as brittle as the Grizzly's at half the price

Comment

I'm thinking Stinger Buzzcuts with bleeders, Cutthroat single bevels, or Kudupoints(also single bevels) for my setup. I've got an elk hunt in Sept, I'll be in Texas trying to kill a couple whitetails in Nov, and have a muley hunt in Jan(and Sept, but I doubt I'll hunt them that month).

Comment

I use Easton FMJs and Montec G5s.

Comment

I'm thinking Stinger Buzzcuts with bleeders, Cutthroat single bevels, or Kudupoints(also single bevels) for my setup. I've got an elk hunt in Sept, I'll be in Texas trying to kill a couple whitetails in Nov, and have a muley hunt in Jan(and Sept, but I doubt I'll hunt them that month).

I'll have to check them out. Right now I'm leaning towards the Shuttle Ts, Ramcat single bevel, or maybe a Strickland Helix if I go 2 blade. All in 100g.

Comment

I agree, I think it all really depends on what you feel most confident with. Personally, I'm shooting a Halon 6 @ 28.5 DL pullin' 62 lb with the 5mm FMJ which is right about 500 grains and I've had complete pass through's on all the elk I've shot with fixed broad-heads. Arrow speed is 270-272 but packs a good punch. If you're going mid-west area, its not uncommon to take a 60+ yd shot(If your comfortable at that range). I do like to shoot 4 fletch arrows when I go mid-west only because I've been able to get tighter groups with fixed heads out to longer distances. But..... that's what I feel confident in and that's just my two cents. I hope you bring down a monster brother!!! Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X