Lone Star Law and my new respect for the man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrfan View Post
    Yeah, I have nothing but respect for them.

I had a new hunter break some lease rules and what some would consider state game laws. The game warden stopped by our camp and happened to find two deer-( one 3 point and a 9” wide 5 point) in the back of this hunters truck. This was around 9:00 at night. Both deer had been shot at 4:30 and at 9:00 we’re not tagged. The GW told the guy that he could write him for an illegal deer less that 13” but because the small points were only about an inch he would let it slide. He asked the guy why the deer were not tagged and the hunter said he left his license at home. The GW gave the guy a ride to Breckenridge to get a copy of his license so he could tag the deer. When they got back to camp around 11:00 pm he watched him tag the deer and fill out the log on the license. He did give him a ticket for not tagging them but he said it could have been much worse. I am having to tell the hunter he won’t be invited back because his son shot an 8 Point during youth weekend and the the hunter shot the two smaller bucks. He was told when he got on the lease that all deer killed by his guest would come off his allotment. He ended up killing 3 bucks. The 8 point, the 3 point and the 5 point.
    GW was stalling and distracting the hunter so that you boys could load up all his stuff in the back of his pick-up.

Comment

I have met a few out in Harper and they were quite the professionals. I volunteered my hunting license for them to check and they even took a picture with me.
      Good sports. Cody Buckaloo and Dave(?). How can you forget a name like Buckaloo?
      What great guys they were. Left a great impression on me.

Comment

They are alright I guess. I just don't understand what the big deal is about this Road hunting thing. I mean, its woods on the left side and woods on the right side, the only place you can get a good clear shot is in the road clearing. Geezzz.....

Comment

Mike Boone is my local game warden and a regular on the show. Here's a great pic of us back in the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My daughter loves watching the show. We make a point of only watching it together (I’m taking all the daddy-daughter time I can get!)

She wants to get checked by one of the LSL wardens, but doesn’t want that job for herself.

I think the show does a decent job of showing the wardens, at least based off of my interaction with them. I’ve had nothing but good interactions with them over the years.

Comment

Show just reinforces I chose the right job for me, I would hate that job !!!

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

Mike Boone is my local game warden and a regular on the show. Here's a great pic of us back in the day

You the one getting cuffed?

Comment

You guys look like old pals! Deetz on the photo?

Comment

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post
                    No difference in I wasn’t speeding, the light was yellow, I didn’t lie to you about my name and dob. All Leo’s deal with liars on a daily basis just my 2 cents from my 30 plus years as a now retired leo

LOL, so True!! The only Warden on the show I wonder about is the "Ole' Guy," has a little bit of attitude but if it works for him then it works. I always tried to be very professional, quoted the law and the reason I was "discussing" the problem. Of course, things could go sour in a heartbeat and then it could be a different approach. Oh, I was NOT a GW, different agencies over the years.

Fact is....these Men & Women have a very dangerous job! Unfortunately how one conducts themselves as an LEO in ANY service can dictate how the public responds? When it's dark, no city backup and you have one or even multiple folks that are probably armed...well, you better be ready for anything.

Comment

The show is put together fairly well compared to what else is on these days. As far as the 'interactions' go, I am not so sure they would be that nice to some of those people if the cameras were not around.

I would like to see some footage of the hill country / south Texas wardens during deer season. Not sure if any has aired, if so let me know the episode numbers if you have em'.

Comment

I've talked to Mike Boone several times at the OGT sporting clay shoots. Seems like a pretty good fellow.

Dave

Comment

Love the show, have always had respect for wardens though. Started off in Wildlife/Fisheries at A&M with the intention of going to the Academy after graduation. For whatever reason I decided against it along the way and went another direction...still kicking myself for that one.

Anyways just watched this weeks episode last night, got to love the SETX tweakers shooting "mountain lions" in their backyard!

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                            LOL, so True!! The only Warden on the show I wonder about is the "Ole' Guy," has a little bit of attitude but if it works for him then it works. I always tried to be very professional, quoted the law and the reason I was "discussing" the problem. Of course, things could go sour in a heartbeat and then it could be a different approach. Oh, I was NOT a GW, different agencies over the years.

Fact is....these Men & Women have a very dangerous job! Unfortunately how one conducts themselves as an LEO in ANY service can dictate how the public responds? When it's dark, no city backup and you have one or even multiple folks that are probably armed...well, you better be ready for anything.
                            Yep, yep and hmmm! Been just a few mouthy folks turn a likely warning into ....! So, how one conducts one self toward a LEO also can dictate how the LEO responds.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                              You the one getting cuffed?

That's me!

Comment

Great show. Only scratches the surface of all the work they do.

One of our wardens was on there last year. We busted his balls a little last dove season but he was good for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X