Immunity ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Immunity ?

i work for a Taiwan based manufacturer in Mckinney. of the asian workforce here, 80% + are from Taiwan, while other are from mainland China, Malaysia, etc.

a lady i deal with daily in production just got back from her home country of South Korea. she is in her 50's and went there for a class renuion. i asked her this morning about the mood in South Korea, and she said everyone goes on about their daily lives and are not worried at all about North Korea.for the majority of South Koreans, ( in my co-workers words ), they seem to think the U.S. is an extremely dangerous place to live.

is it ? that's why i question being immune. i will be 37 in a few weeks, and i can remember the U.S. being at war around 20 years now, starting with Iraq. i vividly remember the OKC bombing as i was attending a junior college in the area at the time of the blast. World trade center, mass shootings, Boston bombing, and the list goes on. after hearing nothing but bad news daily for years, do you just take it as another day ?

i know there are middle-eastern and other 3rd world countries who have been fighting for literally centuries, but, how do you feel ? i for one am proud to live in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.

i can say i don't share the same views as the South Koreans i learned of this morning about not being safe. i know danger is out there, but.... your thoughts ?

Originally posted by clayg08 View Post
    i work for a Taiwan based manufacturer in Mckinney. of the asian workforce here, 80% + are from Taiwan, while other are from mainland China, Malaysia, etc.

a lady i deal with daily in production just got back from her home country of South Korea. she is in her 50's and went there for a class renuion. i asked her this morning about the mood in South Korea, and she said everyone goes on about their daily lives and are not worried at all about North Korea.for the majority of South Koreans, ( in my co-workers words ), they seem to think the U.S. is an extremely dangerous place to live.

is it ? that's why i question being immune. i will be 37 in a few weeks, and i can remember the U.S. being at war around 20 years now, starting with Iraq. i vividly remember the OKC bombing as i was attending a junior college in the area at the time of the blast. World trade center, mass shootings, Boston bombing, and the list goes on. after hearing nothing but bad news daily for years, do you just take it as another day ?

i know there are middle-eastern and other 3rd world countries who have been fighting for literally centuries, but, how do you feel ? i for one am proud to live in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.

i can say i don't share the same views as the South Koreans i learned of this morning about not being safe. i know danger is out there, but.... your thoughts ?

I have no facts or data to back this up, but I think it has as much to do with us being a focus of the world. We have a 24 hour 365 day news cycle here and there is little government intervention as to what is reported.

Having said that, i don't believe the US is any more or less violent than anywhere else. But i think our violence draws more attention. And things occur in other countries, but doesn't get reported as broadly because the gov'ts use an iron fist to rule their people. Hard to govern mass hysteria.

Comment

Most Koreans probably don't know how large geographically the US is. So they may think all of these things happen in an area similar in size to their own country.

Comment

I would say we are a violent nation.

Comment

The price of freedom...

Comment

Marine infantrymen are more likely to be killed on US soil than on deployment right now. I read a report that said the number of military killed daily overseas is lower than just the number of people murdered in the US per capita. Id say that is a pretty violent society. We need to be less tolerant of criminals of all kinds. People aren't afraid to go to jail here like they would be in other countries.

Comment

My son had a friend from Japan his freshman year in college. They guy was a little older, 30 ish, and came to the states to study english for a semester. We had the chance to have the guy at our home for the Thanksgiving holidays. In talking with him we discovered some things. First, and foremost, he and his family were deathly, literally, scared for his life while he was in the U.S. His assumptions were, per him, based on news, movies, etc. He / they had a very distorted view of the States. But, many of the movies they'd seen, the news they'd heard, etc. all depicted the U.S. as a violent place. Needless to say he was glad to learn that not every American is a psychopath. But, yes, i think the world thinks we are a very violent people. In many ways, i have to agree. Having said that, i've been talking to a guy from Rwanda the last few days. He marvels at how safe the U.S. is. I guess much is in the eye of the beholder. My $0.02.

Comment

I was in China this past Feb and sat next to some Belgiums (sp?) that acted like I was a nutjob. Asked how I could ever shoot someone for breaking into my house? I bought them a beer and they walked away sheaking their heads and said we are all crazy Americans. Just different cultures in my opinion.

Comment

Immune? Did you mean oblivious?

Edit: my bad...

Synonyms for immune: allowed, clear, exempt, favored, free, hardened to, insusceptible, irresponsible, licensed, not affected, not liable, not subject, privileged, protected, resistant, safe, unaffected, unanswerable, unliable, unsusceptible
                  Last edited by Burnadell; 04-29-2013, 01:27 PM.

Comment

On the news the US looks very dangerous. When I got my assignment to Fort Worth from Japan. All we saw was the driveby's and episodes of Cops. We didn't leave our house much after dark the first few weeks back. Looks much worse than it really is.

Comment

Violence is what she ment guns etc are very controlled there no hunting etc.

Comment

Forget citizens of other countries. If my wife watches a Gangland marathon I can't get her to leave the house all weekend.

Comment

If all you knew about America was what you see on TV, you'd be afraid to come here too.

Comment

Agree, the media representation is what most others see. That is largely controlled by Hollywood, the press who are largely liberal in their views. Another view is what sells (advertisers) sex and violence.
                            Roy

Comment

Im sorry but Im glade there scared of the US now if we can figure out how to get the word to mexico LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X