Electrical Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Question

I was replacing a standard light fixture for a friend and I have done a number of these over the years but this was a bit different. I hooked up black white and neutral accordingly flipped the switch and I was good so I went to mount it and the breaker tripped. I double checked the wires in the box and I flipped the breaker, remounted and was fine. What would have caused this? and yes I know you should always turn the breaker off when working with electrical i just never have before with light fixtures.

Wires touched?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
      Wires touched?
      That was my initial thought but the switch was off, they were nutted and taped by that point

Comment

Very possible failure at the switch.
        Sometimes wires get loose, even in wire nuts. or they are not mounted well to the switch.

I have been changing out all my outlets/switches and it is amazing at the loose connections I find when replacing those.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
          Very possible failure at the switch.
          Sometimes wires get loose, even in wire nuts. or they are not mounted well to the switch.

I have been changing out all my outlets/switches and it is amazing at the loose connections I find when replacing those.
          Solid possibility, it was just weird that I flipped the switch on and it worked so I flipped it back off and began to mount it then the breaker tripped and works fine now

Comment

I would turn the breaker back off take the fixture back down and check the little tiny ground wire. It may have been making contact and blew apart when you tried it the 2nd time. Now you may have an ungrounded fixture base/canopy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              I would turn the breaker back off take the fixture back down and check the little tiny ground wire. It may have been making contact and blew apart when you tried it the 2nd time. Now you may have an ungrounded fixture base/canopy.

Will do

Comment

Was it in a metal J box?

Comment

Originally posted by txtradesman View Post
                  Was it in a metal J box?
                  this...and one of the contacts on the switch touched the side when installing

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                    this...and one of the contacts on the switch touched the side when installing
                    Plastic.. but with metal ceiling plate

Comment

Originally posted by txtradesman View Post
                      Was it in a metal J box?
                      Plastic

Comment

Arc fault breaker?

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                          Arc fault breaker?
                          Dont know that is past my simple knowledge, it was built in 2011.

Comment

Saturday bump. Any more thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

sound advice

Comment

Working...
                              X