No announcement yet.

2018 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have any advice? The tops of a few plants seem to be shriveling up and drying. Im afraid its leaf curl virus but I could be wrong. The rest of the plant seems to be doing well. Its neighbor has leaf roll...not sure why.

Comment

Originally posted by mooney_ag View Post
      Hoped to pick the first celebrity tomato today and looks like something is getting it before I do. Also have a similar spot on a banana pepper as the green tomato. [ATTACH]909811[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The red one looks like blossom end rot.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
        The red one looks like blossom end rot.

yep. one of my romas in a bucket has it. add calcium and make sure water stays regulated. it will pull through and is amendable if proper precautions are taken.

Comment

My romas have blossom rot also. Spraying them with a epsom salt dilution and hoping for the best.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
            Anyone have any advice? The tops of a few plants seem to be shriveling up and drying. Im afraid its leaf curl virus but I could be wrong. The rest of the plant seems to be doing well. Its neighbor has leaf roll...not sure why.

That doesn’t look like leaf curl to me. It looks like they got dry on a really hot, sunny day and scorched the tips of leaves. Usually leaf curl will effect whole leaves before they dry out.

Comment

Well, most of the garden is a mess. I made the mistake of broadcast seeding my lettuce, kales, and chards... they came in WAY too thick. We are getting more salad than we could possibly eat, and the tomatoes aren’t quite ready to harvest yet.

The pollinator garden I already posted above is definitely my favorite bed this year. I did a 4’ X 60’ bed on the back side of the yard, and the beneficial bugs have gone crazy, especially wasps... there’s dozens of species picking aphids off the garden this year.

Comment

IKEMAN - did you purchase seeds or tell me about this pollination garden.. I love the color and the idea... you can pm me as well

Comment

Question for you guys - Everything in my garden seems to be doing well, but my squash and zucchini. I have four rows and all four have been slowly dying the last two weeks. I have not put any type of fertilizer on them at this time. Is there anything natural I can put on them? What is causing them to die? This question may have been asked and answered already.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo2091 View Post
                    Question for you guys - Everything in my garden seems to be doing well, but my squash and zucchini. I have four rows and all four have been slowly dying the last two weeks. I have not put any type of fertilizer on them at this time. Is there anything natural I can put on them? What is causing them to die? This question may have been asked and answered already.
                    Likely you have been invaded by the Squash Vine Borer. Look at the main stems and see if you can find small holes with "sawdust" looking residue around them. Also look on the leaves and higher up on the stems for little redish/brown "spots" or "dots"... Those are the eggs laid by the insect. These hatch and the larve (looks like a maggot or skinny grub worm). If they're not too far gone, they can be saved. Do a search on YouTube for treatment for squash-vine borers. It involves splitting the stems and removing the grubs, injecting the stems with a BT Solution and burying the stems above the infected areas to re-root and start to grow from there. I was about 75% successful with my wife's zucchini and squash plants last year... Here's a pic or two of her plant stems... First and last pics are of the recovering plants after treatment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6810.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	24541994

Name:	IMG_6803.JPG
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	24541995

Name:	IMG_6804.JPG
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	24541996

Name:	IMG_6814.JPG
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	24541997

Comment

I believe that is it. Thank you for the info!

Comment

Really like that pollinator garden of yours Ikeman!

Comment

Anybody ever train your zucchini plant to a stake? I’m giving it a try because they are just taking up WAY too much space.

Comment

First time doing potatoes, think we dug them up a little too soon. The plants were wilted and falling over on the ground though. Dug up 7 of the 10 we planted. I'll let the other 3 go a few more weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by AgBass01 View Post
                              First time doing potatoes, think we dug them up a little too soon. The plants were wilted and falling over on the ground though. Dug up 7 of the 10 we planted. I'll let the other 3 go a few more weeks.

Feel and did the same with my garlic...got a few decent ones

Comment

Finally had my first tomato for breakfast...hard to beat

Comment

Working...
                                X