Traditional FSC -- Week 43

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional FSC -- Week 43

Since we're well into bow hunting season, let's make this challenge about target acquisition on a deer -- since they don't have bullseyes or black dots or X's over their vitals. But they do have subtle shadows that can give us an indication of where to aim.

The challenge is from 17 yards, standing or sitting (8 for kids). Only need a blank piece of paper and a pencil for this. Draw an upside down V on the paper about 3 inches tall near the middle of the page, which will be placed horizontal on the target. You can slightly curve the legs of the V for added realism. Catch is that after drawing the V, then use the side of the pencil tip to shade over the V and most of the paper, using fairly short, back and forth strokes. We're basically simulating deer hide with a shadow behind the shoulder, making a V where the belly slopes back. Winner is the single shot closest to the point of the V -- nearest edge of shaft to tip of V.

In summary, aim at the tip of an upside down V, shaded with pencil, shot from 17 yards. Good luck. Will show pic from phone in next post.

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
    Since we're well into bow hunting season, let's make this challenge about target acquisition on a deer -- since they don't have bullseyes or black dots or X's over their vitals. But they do have subtle shadows that can give us an indication of where to aim.

The challenge is from 17 yards, standing or sitting (8 for kids). Only need a blank piece of paper and a pencil for this. Draw an upside down V on the paper about 3 inches tall near the middle of the page, which will be placed horizontal on the target. You can slightly curve the legs of the V for added realism. Catch is that after drawing the V, then use the side of the pencil tip to shade over the V and most of the paper, using fairly short, back and forth strokes. We're basically simulating deer hide with a shadow behind the shoulder, making a V where the belly slopes back. Winner is the single shot closest to the point of the V -- nearest edge of shaft to tip of V.

In summary, aim at the tip of an upside down V, shaded with pencil, shot from 17 yards. Good luck. Will show pic from phone in next post.
    This what challenge target looks like. Closest to tip of V from 17 yards wins call next week.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

Come on, now. This is low tech. Pencil and paper is all you need. Shoot it.

Comment

I'll get in on this one!! I shot a few arrows before going out this morning so i didn't do it today.

Comment

Ok, Here's mine. Little high and left. Plenty of room inside, y'all: 2-1/4".

Comment

Awesome setup Tradtiger! Manana con mi hijo.

Comment

It got too dark to take pictures but my 5yr old hijo was closer than me. I was at 6" NW and he was at 4"ish NE. My 3yr old archerette missed the target butt...but did "Awesome!" It took some coaxing to get her to shoot at the V...she wanted the foam buck target..."this is the target for the game were playing".
              Last edited by Briar Friar; 10-25-2017, 08:34 PM. Reason: CoaxSpake

Comment

First shot 4&13/16s, second was 2&5/16ths. I couldn't see the V. Just held too long on the first shot.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I shot mine today but it was about 4'' out too, so I'll spare y'all the pics!!

Comment

Definite kill shots there, y'all. The tip of the V mainly gives us something to measure to.

Comment

Nice day to shoot! Git er done, y'all!

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                        Nice day to shoot! Git er done, y'all!
                        You twisted my arm.
                        After setting in the cold for 4 hours this morning, and not seeing anything, I figured I would give this ago

Longbow time.

Rick
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                          You twisted my arm.
                          After setting in the cold for 4 hours this morning, and not seeing anything, I figured I would give this ago

Longbow time.

Rick
                          Nice!

Comment

Nice shot Rick.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Is that one of those Death Adder tabs that you make? Looks good! I like the way you include the bow and stuff that made the shot like a LDP in the target pictures.

Comment

Working...
                              X