Words of Wisdom - Wanting to start shooting Traditional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got into bowhunting a few years ago and will never go back to a rifle. I am very intrigued with trad hunting/shooting but know nothing about it. So, a few things...

A. I don't have a bow and I don't know what I need

B. I don't know what else I need to get started (I have targets)

C. Do I need to take lessons or just figure out via YouTube/etc

D. Any other advice for an ignorant rookie, just let me know.

Thanks in advance!

My limited experience says don’t over bow yourself, start close to the target, and practice A LOT!

I’m sure the experts will be along shortly.......hi Bisch!

Comment

I bought a martin x-200 10 years ago and learned trial and error
      It took a year, i still use the martin and its awesome. Lots of good tutorials on youtube as for form and such. I bought a little to heavy 55# might be why it took me so long. Probably should start with 45

Comment

Practice a lot! People around here are great about advice so ask away.

Comment

Read the Sticky's above, there's a bunch of good info there!
          One thing is go with a light draw weight around 40-45lb

Comment

Something that served me well when trying to learn is stump shooting
            Grt a couple arrows with judo tips and just walk around shooting at catus and sapling cedars

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty View Post
              Read the Sticky's above, there's a bunch of good info there!
              One thing is go with a light draw weight around 40-45lb
              Great info. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Make a trip to fort grard in Weatherford and ask for Randy he will fix you up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't know where you are located, but the best thing you can do is to find an experienced trad shooter in your area that you can use as a mentor! Go to 3D shoots in your area and meet the local trad folks.

If you go the YouTube route, listen to what guys like Jimmy Blackmon, Jeff Kavanaugh, and Moebow (Arne Moe) have to say. You can learn a LOT of good things from those guys!

Like said above, don't start out with too heavy of a draw weight. Zero % letoff is a lot tougher than most folks think, especially at first. If you are fighting the bow, learning good form will be a very hard thing to accomplish!

Also, know this up front: shooting a trad bow with no sights takes a lot of time and effort to do. It is nit something you get overnight! Give yourself the time to get good. You will know when, and at what distance you are ready to hunt. There are very few things more rewarding (at least as far as hunting is concerned) than walking up to a critter that you shot with a trad bow with no sights and no letoff! The new

Good luck, and welcome to the fun side!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Welcome to the best transition ever. Always practiced, but never mastered.

Start at 40# to learn good form. Shoot you can hunt with that weight too.

Feathers not vanes! Take the time to tune your arrows. They should fly like darts.

Samick makes a cheap but decent enough bow to learn off of.

Can't be said enough, find a mentor.

Comment

My advice: stop thinking about it and just do it already

1. You need a bow - I am a proponent of starter bows like the sammick sage. $150 gets you a bow with a good string. Target 40# draw which will be 40 or 35# limbs. $75 can get you a 2nd set of heavier limbs down the road.

2. Get arrows. Call 3 rivers and let them help you get setup over the phone.

3. Find somebody yo help you out. Be careful though... not everyone who volunteers really knows what they are doing. That might sound harsh and all high and mighty... but it happens.

4. Do it. Stop thinking about doing it and just do it. In the end, everybody gets "there" differently... one thing we all have in common is... we just chose to do it and committed ourselves.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

All of this advice is great. If I could go back and start over, I would have bought the same bow (Samick Sage) but I would have found somebody to help me get started and to shoot with a little bit. You can learn on your own, but the learning curve is HUGE. At least it was for me. If you're in Mansfield I'm pretty sure you could find one of the guys on here in DFW area to help you. Most trad guys are very helpful. Good luck!!

Comment

1. Don't overbow yourself. Start with about 40# @ 28".
                          2. Practice
                          3. Learn and practice good form. Look at videos like said above.
                          4. Practice
                          5. Try to find someone to learn from locally and go to Trad 3D shoots. Ask a bunch of questions.
                          6. Practice some more.
                          7. Start at about 5 yards and shoot this until you are confident with your shot placement. Move back about 2 yds. once you are confident. Don't worry about 25-30 yd. shots. Responsible trad. shots for animals are usually within 15 yds. Many can shoot beyond this range in hunting conditions but not for a beginner.
                          8. Did I say practice. And practice some more.

Doug Key

Comment

Lots of good advice listed above.

I would add, when you are getting advise from others make sure that the person giving the advice knows what they are talking about.

When taking advise from the Trad section on here, try and only listen to what the "seasoned" trad guys say.

When in doubt search a poster's history before you take their advice and run with it.

Get proficient in using the search function in the Trad forum, most if not all of your questions have already been answered.

Read a lot.
                            Practice a lot.
                            Don't get frustrated.
                            Find someone local to you to help you if possible.
                            GO to Trad 3D shoots. Watch, listen, learn.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                              lots of good advice listed above.

I would add, when you are getting advise from others make sure that the person giving the advice knows what they are talking about.

When taking advise from the trad section on here, try and only listen to what the "seasoned" trad guys say.

When in doubt search a poster's history before you take their advice and run with it.

Get proficient in using the search function in the trad forum, most if not all of your questions have already been answered.

Read a lot.
                              Practice a lot.
                              Don't get frustrated.
                              Find someone local to you to help you if possible.
                              Go to trad 3d shoots. Watch, listen, learn.
                              this ^^^^^!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X