Texas public land advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas public land advice

Well this year i did not get drawn for a hunt out west and cant decide if i want to head to Colorado or not. So, looking at the basic maps of DC nat. Forest i was wondering if it is possible to really get away from a crowd in any of these East Tx public lands? I have a good GPS and a good ride that can get me in the backwoods. I used to seeing a few people hunting out west for the past 26 years but dont want to have 20 people walk past either if possible.
    Any advice on maps, areas, forest would be appreciated

I don't hunt it but know a couple people who do. they kill nice bucks every year. they swear the trick is to walk in at least a mile, or no more than 50 to 60 yards. one killed a 128 inch 8 point 35 yards from the road this year. (not even sure if that's legal) that's not a monster, but its a nice deer and certainly one to be proud of for east Texas public land. but most of their stands are far far away from any road or trail. and they don't use orange tape or tacks to mark the trail in either. they've hunted it for years, so im sure that helps too. cant even tell you what part of it they hunt, but they've told me repeatedly it doesn't really matter. you just have to find a hunk you like, and learn how to hunt it.

Comment

Hey Flywise - all the best this season, may run into you out there. Being that you have already have experience scouting public land (CO), I might suggest also focusing on scouting people, as mentioned above. There's big deer all over the forest, it's just a matter of finding areas that you can approach in different winds. Find some thick cutovers and get after it. The paths of least resistance will be fraught will hunters looking for an easy buck.

Comment

I have a good GPS and a good ride that can get me in the backwoods.
        What are you calling a "good ride?"

Comment

A lot of places don't allow motorized vehicles outside of the parking area.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsman View Post
            Hey Flywise - all the best this season, may run into you out there. Being that you have already have experience scouting public land (CO), I might suggest also focusing on scouting people, as mentioned above. There's big deer all over the forest, it's just a matter of finding areas that you can approach in different winds. Find some thick cutovers and get after it. The paths of least resistance will be fraught will hunters looking for an easy buck.
            I am hoping to get out there sometime in August for a day or two to see if I can find a good remote spot. Thanks for chiming in, all advice is appreciated of course

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
            What are you calling a "good ride?"
            I have a Honda 3 wheeler and by the time season rolls around I'll have my Rokon up and running

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
            A lot of places don't allow motorized vehicles outside of the parking area.
            I have been looking for a good map of the forest out in e.Tx. to try and identify 4x4 trails, motorcycle trails etc. Do they have anything like that out there?

Comment

Originally posted by limbwalker View Post
              what are you calling a "good ride?"
              [ATTACH]716587[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by beardedBrazos View Post
                I don't hunt it but know a couple people who do. they kill nice bucks every year. they swear the trick is to walk in at least a mile, or no more than 50 to 60 yards. one killed a 128 inch 8 point 35 yards from the road this year. (not even sure if that's legal) that's not a monster, but its a nice deer and certainly one to be proud of for east Texas public land. but most of their stands are far far away from any road or trail. and they don't use orange tape or tacks to mark the trail in either. they've hunted it for years, so im sure that helps too. cant even tell you what part of it they hunt, but they've told me repeatedly it doesn't really matter. you just have to find a hunk you like, and learn how to hunt it.
                Thank you for your advice as well

Comment

The majority of hunters tend to like the gated roads to walk in on. I like finding places to pull off on a shoulder and walk in, and in 3 years of hunting the sam, I've never seen another person in the woods. Getting further in usually requires a bike and trailer, or a strong back. I've killed deer 300 yards off the highway. Sometimes just have to think different than most others.

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                    The majority of hunters tend to like the gated roads to walk in on. I like finding places to pull off on a shoulder and walk in, and in 3 years of hunting the sam, I've never seen another person in the woods. Getting further in usually requires a bike and trailer, or a strong back. I've killed deer 300 yards off the highway. Sometimes just have to think different than most others.
                    I have hunted out west for 20+ years and more than anything I enjoy hiking in as far as I can in a day.
                    And since I finally broke down and bought a GPS I can see myself getting back in there a good ways with confidence.
                    I just wish I could pitch a tent once I get back in there.

Comment

I drew a doe tag for national forest last year and got an eight point, about 110" and my doe. Both were pushed to me by other hunters. I have been scouting all year and hope to repeat.

Comment

You won't have many places where you can ride that motor bike, but if you can ride a bicycle, there are plenty of gated roads on the NF lands where you can get away from folks. I know one on the Sam Houston that you can ride over 4 miles to the end, and you'll never see a soul.

I usually ride in about 1.5-2 miles and start hunting. I've yet to have another hunter walk in on me in 5 years.

Comment

It's encouraging to know that there are areas where its possible to get away from the crowd.
                          Would you guys say that most roads are pass able with a typical truck ?
                          Then just take off i to the woods for a hike until you find a spot you want to spend the day?

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about the crowd. I hunted the first week of rifle for the last two years in Alabama Creek WMA in DCNF and never saw a soul. I was within a quarter mile of the road the whole time. Killed a 140" 9 pt the first year. Skunked last year. I would just look for the best spot no matter how far it is from the road. If you're worried about someone else being there just make sure you get into the woods before they do.

You Texans don't know what crowded hunting really is. I'm originally from Pennsylvania which has the same amount of hunters as Texas on about 1/5 the land area. It wasn't uncommon to see 25 hunters on the first day of deer season. We still killed plenty of deer. And you didn't have to hike 3 miles off the road to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by mwk128 View Post
                              I wouldn't worry too much about the crowd. I hunted the first week of rifle for the last two years in Alabama Creek WMA in DCNF and never saw a soul. I was within a quarter mile of the road the whole time. Killed a 140" 9 pt the first year. Skunked last year. I would just look for the best spot no matter how far it is from the road. If you're worried about someone else being there just make sure you get into the woods before they do.

You Texans don't know what crowded hunting really is. I'm originally from Pennsylvania which has the same amount of hunters as Texas on about 1/5 the land area. It wasn't uncommon to see 25 hunters on the first day of deer season. We still killed plenty of deer. And you didn't have to hike 3 miles off the road to do it.
                              This is true. Anymore all guys talk about is getting way back in the woods. Before long all the hunters will be so far back you'll have to sit by your truck to see anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X