shot placement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shot placement?

Buddy shot a buck straight down through the shoulder blades maybe a hair back behind the shoulder blades , clean pass through. I was not there to see the blood trail but he says he had real good blood trail, trailed deer for about 1/2 mile. Deer crossed one real steep creek bout 8' sides. They bumped the buck out his bed about 3 hours after the shot and backed out for the night. Both guys trailing the deer have killed multiple deer with a bow and hunted 30+ years neither could believe the deer bled as much as he did and ran so far.
    Anyone have this type of scenario end in success.

personally I think its a poor low % shot, but I was wrong once back in 67.

They can do crazy things when bumped and have the adrenaline pumping.

Comment

Likely one lung.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
        Likely one lung.
        Pretty sure this happened to me in Kansas 3 years ago, we trailed that buck for close to a mile, never found him.

Comment

In Kansas and Illinois I've had several deer walk up to where a straight down shot was all I had. I've had to move my foot to make sure I didn't shot myself. Every time the deer fell in sight and a couple times they never took another step, spine lungs and heart all in the same shot. You have to adjust for lack of arrow drop and distance, I used my 30 yard pin and did just fine.

Comment

Sucks not finding a deer. Another thing to think about is a lot of times when you shoot you don't hit exactly where you think you do. Things happen fast so unless you have it on video, nothing is 100%. Even video leaves things to speculation sometimes.

Comment

I shot one like that once. Bled like crazy but just quit and didn't find him. Killed him 3 weeks later and discovered that the arrow didn't penetrate the rib cage. Entered what I thought was in the center of his back but came out between the brisket and the shoulder.

He was chasing does like nothing happened.

Comment

I shot a 1 lunger last season. Looks like I was fortunate to find him. Crazy blood trail but he still went 1350 yds. Bumped him once and backed out. Came back an hour later and he was 10-15yds from where we bumped him.

Tough animals but he may not even have clipped a lung or anything. I'd back out as they did and get a dog today.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                  I shot a 1 lunger last season. Looks like I was fortunate to find him. Crazy blood trail but he still went 1350 yds. Bumped him once and backed out. Came back an hour later and he was 10-15yds from where we bumped him.

Tough animals but he may not even have clipped a lung or anything. I'd back out as they did and get a dog today.
                  Public land buck so dog is not an option.
                  They are going back to look this morning so hopefully they find him.

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
                    Public land buck so dog is not an option.
                    They are going back to look this morning so hopefully they find him.

Just wear a jogging outfit and keep your dog on a lease. You ain't huntin, just enjoying some nature trails

Comment

I think that shot has to be perfect, which is usually a happy accident. I wouldn't take it. I would wait for a better shot or pass.

Comment

It sucks but it happens.

Had a buddy shoot a buck quartering away. Shot was a bit high he couldn't find his arrow but it was thick brush. I got trail cam pics of it later with a scar high behind the left shoulder and another one on the right side of the base of its neck. He was getting by just fine.

I shot a doe quartering away looked like a great shot. The arrow was covered in blood and made a full pass through and splattered blood 6ft behind her. Blood trail went about 75 yards and was lost. 6 seasoned hunters and a dog couldn't find her.

Comment

Originally posted by BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD View Post
                          In Kansas and Illinois I've had several deer walk up to where a straight down shot was all I had. I've had to move my foot to make sure I didn't shot myself. Every time the deer fell in sight and a couple times they never took another step, spine lungs and heart all in the same shot. You have to adjust for lack of arrow drop and distance, I used my 30 yard pin and did just fine.
                          I think this is spot on. If you miss the heart, you'll likely only hit one lung which is no bueno.

Comment

Well not the best resolution but at least he's not left wondering.

Comment

At least he got the horns they cleaned that up quick

Comment

Working...
                              X