Big green egg questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big green egg questions

I have a couple questions about the big green egg smoker/grill. Are they worth the money first off, what size would you recommend, and can you burn wood in it or is it only lump charcoal? Thanks guys

Sub

I want the largest or the one that is elongated

Comment

A guy at work swears his Big Green Egg is the best smoker on the market. But he paid $700 for a juicer and uses a French Press to make his coffee. I had to ask him what a French Press was.

Comment

Yes, Big Green Eggs and Primos are worth the money. I cook everything from brisket, ham, burgers, steaks, bread, pizza, and anything else you would want to cook on mine. Get the XL, order the BBQ Guru digi-q, and get to cooking.

Comment

I got the Kamado Big Joe for Christmas and love it. I'VE done a couple of threads.
          Use the lump charcoal and put your wood on top of that it doesn't take much and it burns it slowly.
          Watch the videos on YouTube to get an idea on how to set your dampers for your heat. When you get within 100 degrees of your target temp start to close it down because once it gets hot it takes awhile to bring the temp back down.
          The is a Kamando Joe fb page and a lot of videos too.
          There's also an egg head forum.

Comment

Yes they rock. Gest lighter I have found.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by thorthunder View Post
              Yes they rock. Gest lighter I have found.
              That works?

Comment

Can't use wood by its self lump with wood added and yes primo xl is the way to go but if u have to get a bge go w/ large. Oh and big thicket boy I use a map torche to get mine going will never go back to any other way. The thing above looks ok but I don't like cords

Comment

If I may!?!?!?
                  I did a lot of looking when I decided T get a new rig
                  I looked at the Big Green egg the knock offs and met folks with both they are great However, I found the Wood Pellet grill/smoker and ended up with a wood pellet rig
                  I can cold smoke with it regular smoke
                  Cook burgers steaks
                  I have made my own bacon several times now with it un real

Hope this helps
                  Ron

Comment

As soon as I get my smoker and pizza oven sold I'm planing to buy the Vision Kamado size S from Home Depot.
                    Full retail is $699 (They give a 10% discount to Vets too.)
                    I like the design of the regulator on it better than the BGE plus it's a heck of a lot cheaper.

Comment

I've got a BGE that my in laws gave me for Christmas a few years back. I'm a cheap ******* and would have never paid what they did for one. That being said it's the best all around grill I've ever used. I can do 5 racks of baby backs using a rib rack. I can smoke a brisket or a couple of butts or a couple of chickens using the can method. Space is a little tight but I manage to make it work. I'm pretty sure mine is a large. It'll run 225 as long as I need it to. I've got it cranked right now around 575 getting ready to throw on a backstrap and a filet for the wife.

Comment

I absolutely love mine. Here is the downside: The BGE itself is expensive, but it is like a gateway drug. Next thing you know you need a nest or a table, the BBQ Guru, plate setter, pizza stone, etc.

That said, I smoke pulled pork and brisket at 225, pizza and searing steaks at 700, and everything in between. I don't use anything else and am going to upgrade to the XL.

Comment

Could always make your own version, http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/f...-egg/12196814/

Comment

Best smoker I've ever had. I can sear a steak or slow cook ribs. I smoke our Thanksgiving turkey on it most years. It's diversity is its greatest asset. It's expensive, but quality often is. You won't regret the purchase.

Comment

I can vouch for the Komado Joe's and the Primo Oval grills. I am sure the BGE's are great I just have never used one. If you are buying any Knock off Ceramic grill make sure the whole thing is ceramic. I think the one at Sams had a lighter alloy top half.

Comment

Working...
                              X