Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice - Fly fishing in Ambergris Caye, Belize?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice - Fly fishing in Ambergris Caye, Belize?

In two weeks I'll be on my honeymoon in Belize. My soon to be wife is cool with me taking a couple mornings to go fly fishing while she hits the spa, so I'll be taking the 8 wt with me. My question to you guys is - Is there any way to do any DIY flyfishing down there or do you have to take a guide? Are there any fly shops in the town of San Pedro? Any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Bump for morning bunch

Comment

Will be there end of May and going with El Pescador for 2 days. Was there 3 years ago and didn't find too many easy DIY spots like at some other islands. There are bones up and down the beach in front of the resorts north of San Pedro, but I don't know about access to those spots. Good luck and let us know what you find. You'll love the island.

Comment

I found plenty of diy opportunities on my trip several years ago. We stayed at the X'tan Ha north of San Pedro. There is a long grass flat from there north. I found lots of tailing bones on it early morning and had multiple chances at permit as well. The biggest bone I hooked was right in front of the resort. Ask the employees at your resort for advice.

Comment

MassMan, do you remember if there are tackle shops on the island or will I need to bring all the flies with me? (Id prefer to get them there and get advice from the fishing shop owner if possible)

Comment

There is little to nothing in the form of tackle shops. Bring everything from here.

Comment

I'm not sure about the fly shop. I brought everything with me. I remember getting advice from a friend to bring some flies with yellow and red but I did not find the fish to be all that picky. You might also look in to exploring the lagoon on the back side of Ambergris by kayak. Most resorts have them available to use at no charge.

Comment

I believe El Pescador has a fly shop.

Comment

I'm headed there in July, in for the thread.

Anyone used guides in the area? more specifically from the Victoria House area?

On a side note, My business partner is a fly fishing nut and recommended I sign up for daneki's (www dot deneki dot com) weekly newsletter. Pretty good bone info, but might find something in there.

Comment

Working...
                  X