What happened to the day leases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to the day leases?

It's been a few years since I've been around on the site here. I am moving to San Antonio from Indiana next month and wanted to get out do some hunting. There used to be a large number of ranches that offered exotics hunts for $150-250/day, no trophy fees, low success and I am no longer finding these. I came to the rate the day lease section and its really turned into a rate the outfitter section not just day leases anymore. Does anyone know of any good day leases anymore? Good day lease doesn't necessarily mean high success. I'm looking for places that have decent people working at the ranch and the owners are good people.

Hard to find now days. I think there is still a few that have no kill fees, that's because there success rate is real low. All the good ranches have added kill fees because of the high cost of replacing the animals.

Comment

That makes sense. I am good with low success I don't mind putting in hard work for hunting just wanted somewhere I could go for cheap to hunt. I'd be up for public land I just don't know where any is at this point.

Comment

I know chambers bowhunting is still really reasonably priced but have never been

Comment

Looked up chambers looks like just rams auodad axis and hogs. Still could be fun pricesn't aren't insane.

Comment

public land

Originally posted by acutting View Post
            That makes sense. I am good with low success I don't mind putting in hard work for hunting just wanted somewhere I could go for cheap to hunt. I'd be up for public land I just don't know where any is at this point.
            I don't know of any other, but I'm sure there is some that I'm not aware of. Maybe someone will chime in on more. The only PL that I know of is Sam Houston National Forest and Davey Crocket NF in East Texas.

Comment

Check out bar j day hunts. Site say $350/day with a two day minimum and $0 kill fee. Most guys i read about that go their say its a pretty good place.

Comment

Extreme bowhunting is a great place.

Comment

I looked up Chambers, Bar J, and Extreme Bow hunting. All look like good possibilities. On a side note I ran across Extreme Whitetails and Exotics http://www.extremewhitetails.net/bow.php any one know anything about them?

Comment

Big Oak is always good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Garza, unless there is another Big Oak I am not aware of, it is not a day lease operation. As my original post stated I was looking specifically for day lease exotics with no trophy fees. Big Oak is the exact opposite of this.

Comment

Land owners realized they could get a lot more mula for animals would be my guess to why they are thinning out

Comment

That is probably pretty accurate. Animal prices have increased over the years and guaranteed hunt prices have also gone up with them. Some of the day leases have also just appeared to gone out of business.

Comment

Originally posted by acutting View Post
                            Garza, unless there is another Big Oak I am not aware of, it is not a day lease operation. As my original post stated I was looking specifically for day lease exotics with no trophy fees. Big Oak is the exact opposite of this.
                            my mistake. I totally misread the post. I usually hunt Big Oak for hogs, therefore I just pay the daily hunt fee.

Comment

Originally posted by garza View Post
                              my mistake. I totally misread the post. I usually hunt Big Oak for hogs, therefore I just pay the daily hunt fee.
                              No problem at all!

Comment

Working...
                              X