Question about eyes and glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my first experience with glasses that I should wear all the time but I'm not happy with the results. I'm over 60. Have been using cheaters to read for over 20 years. Now left eye is noticably weaker than the right and I'm in the early stages of Glaucoma. I have until recently have not had trouble focusing on distant objects but it's happening now so I've got bifocals now. Trouble is that my eyes/brain seem confused. If I close either eye, the vision with the open eye is clear but with both open my vision is vivid but no clearer than before ( no it doesn't make much sense to me either). I almost did not take the glasses but the glasses place convinced me to ,#1 take them to my eye doctor and have him check me and the glasses as they are positive they built the prescription as it was written. and #2 give time for my eyes to adjust. Well, since I can't get in to see my Dr. for a month (busy man)I am trying to let my eyes get used to the glasses now. It's been 2 weeks now and it has not gotten any better. I will not drive with them on as I get really confused as to what I am seeing. And now reading with them is great but when I take off the glasses, the left eye is almost useless for a few minutes. I am confused and hoping someone out there has some experience that will help. Do I just need to keep on "letting my eyes adjust"? PS: I know there are some eye people out there that are sponsors but may not be quite in the specialty that I need as I was told Lasik would not help me at all but maybe you can pass on some info. Anyway, thanks in advance for any info any of You can give.

My dad is in the exact situation. I've worn glasses all my life. He just started and I think you have to get used to them. Hopefully they didn't mess your rx up. Like I told him, you've been not wearing them for over 60 years. Your sight has slowly gotten worse so an instant correction is odd. Hope it turns out sir and merry Christmas.

Comment

Hopin that's the case!!

Comment

You might consider another eye doctor. That's what I had to do.

Comment

I would defiantly have the Rx double checked,,, People make mistakes.

Comment

And if you bought the cheapest, plastic lenses offered, that may be your problem...

Comment

I've got no line bifocals.... I've tried for over a year to get used to'em..
              So far, unsuccessful........
              I'm back to wearing cheaters.....

Comment

Bifocals can be hard to adjust too and they are difficult to build right. The script being correct is just one step. They also have to get the optical center perfectly aligned to your pupils and the bifocal height perfect. If your script has an axis that has to be set just right in the frame. A couple degrees off and you'll have vision issues. Going back to your doc will verify all of the above and the doc can double check his/her work to ensure they prescribed the right script.
                Cheap plastic lenses can also cause issues. The premium polycarbonate lenses with anti-glare are a worth the extra cost in most cases.

I'd go back to your doc. The opticians that made your glasses don't have the education or experience in most cases. I know because I used to be one. They hire people off the street and give them OJT. Very few are educated and certified opticians.
                Last edited by giarcher; 12-24-2016, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Dry Creek, My doctor has been my wifes Dr. for ages and is one of the most respected in the area. Jenn, I got the second grade up the polycarbonate ladder. I have an appointment with the Doc but for a little over a month from now. Now if I keep wearing these until my appointment, trying to let the eyes get used to them, and there is something wrong with the prescription will it mess up the eyes even more? Also are any of you respondents involved in the optometrist/ optician business? Talking from experience as long time eyeglasses wearers? Just trying to get a feelin for this.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                    I've got no line bifocals.... I've tried for over a year to get used to'em..
                    So far, unsuccessful........
                    I'm back to wearing cheaters.....
                    I never did get used to no line bifocals. Went to lined bifocals and haven't had any problems

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Went to walmart vision dept didnt ya...they told me i had astygmatism...went to a real optomatrist they said no...get a 2nd opinion.

Comment

Maybe I'm just lucky but my glasses worked great the second I put them on.

Comment

4dog, Nope, Texas Eye Inst in Angleton for the prescription and Eye masters for the glasses.

Comment

Yes hard to get used to, but go to your eye doctor with the glasses. Call and tell them the problem. They can check your glasses without a Dr's appointment. If the glasses check out right then see the Dr.

Comment

Working...
                            X