Another Custom Bumper Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Custom Bumper Build

I cant leave well enough alone. I bought a new truck in Dec. of last year, and I have waited about as long as I could to modify it. With the exception of a homemade gooseneck hitch that integrates into the factory gooseneck prep cross member, and changing the side steps, the truck is completely as it was when I bought it.

That's about to change.

One of the perks of being an ag mech/shop teacher is that I can have my students build projects for me when I don't have time to build them myself. Ordinarily I do it al myself because Im extremely particular about the appearance of the final project, and my students don't have the same attention to detail as I do. But, Ive been extremely busy over the last few months and decided that I had a couple of students that could probably get it done to my standards with some extra supervision. This also gives them a project they can enter in the county fair.

We are building 2 of them (one for me and one for my dad) out of some recycled square tubing I acquired from the local power plant. The plan is to
    make them similar to the one on my old Chevrolet.

So far they have cleaned off the surface rust and tacked one of the main frames together, and have started cutting the angles on the second. The bottom tube looked like the top pieces when we started. The plan is to mounts using boxed frame mounts made of 1/4" plate and skirt the bumper with 1/8" diamond plate, just like the last one. I am also going to be adding a bracket to mount an LED light bar in the air gap on mine, but my dad's will be left open because I don't want to restrict any airflow to the intercooler on his Cummins. Mine is a 6.4 Hemi so I don't have anything behind the bumper that needs cooling, so the light bar wont affect any airflow to critical cooing components.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Bucksaw View Post
    One of the perks of being an ag mech/shop teacher is that I can have my students build projects for me when I don't have time to build them myself.
    Ha, That's nice......I want to build one for my truck but don't have the time right now...

Comment

Got the rest of the tubing cut, fit, and tacked, just dont have a picture. Gonna be interesting to see which one turns out better. Might even make it a competition between the two kids building them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucksaw View Post
        Got the rest of the tubing cut, fit, and tacked, just dont have a picture. Gonna be interesting to see which one turns out better. Might even make it a competition between the two kids building them.
        that will be fun

Comment

Well, the new Ez Plasma computerized plasma table came in yesterday. This build my go very quickly. Still waiting for the techs to come out and set it up and show me how to use it, but stay tuned for some exciting new updates.

Comment

IN!

Comment

Always in on his builds......following for the process and end results

Comment

Originally posted by Strain View Post
                Always in on his builds......following for the process and end results
                YOu know me. I cant leave it alone, and I don't just do it light duty either.

Comment

No doubt.

Comment

Been a while since we did anything to it, but the plasma is up and running. Things are gonna get interesting.

Comment

Look forward to final product.

Comment

I have the back bumper on my truck that I bought from you and picked up from your dad. Love that bumper and super heavy duty. Your old truck is basically the exact truck I have, same color too!

Looks like another nice build!

Comment

Looks like this one is going to be heavy duty. Nice progress so far. Following along for the finsihed project.
                          If you decide they need another winter project in the shop, I could use a rear bumper for a 2010 F350 4x4.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunterdan View Post
                            Looks like this one is going to be heavy duty. Nice progress so far. Following along for the finsihed project.
                            If you decide they need another winter project in the shop, I could use a rear bumper for a 2010 F350 4x4.
                            We might can hook you up. We have an 08 F350 here at school so we can build it based off that if you for sure wanted us to do one.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly1 View Post
                              I have the back bumper on my truck that I bought from you and picked up from your dad. Love that bumper and super heavy duty. Your old truck is basically the exact truck I have, same color too!

Looks like another nice build!
                              I certainly like to overbuild to a point. There is a fine line between overbuilding and overkill, and I like to straddle it. Don't want anything that seems built for a dozer, but I don't want anything that's just for show either. I smacked a deer doing 75 with one that I built and eventually sold to Strain. That bumper was 1/4" plate and saved me a bundle on body repairs. No point in building it any stronger than that I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X