Best food plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best food plot

What is the best thing to plant RIGHT now in food plaots in central Texas for deer.I'm wanting something that they will actually eat and something that will last through the winter if possible.
    Also I'm like most others and don't want to spend $100 on a bag of "magic deer seed".Tried that and no bueno.It died in November and i never saw a deer on it.
    What i've come up with so far as the best is rye grass but it doesn't seem to be a great attractant.
    Any help out there?I'm wanting to plant this weekend..Thanks!!!

Peas,Soy,Rye,Oats..

OATS,OATS,and OATS Seed oats from feed store bob are good.

Comment

I like clover...

Comment

chicory

Comment

planted oats yesterday. Disked the ground first. oates were $9 for 50lb bag at feed store. also spread fertilizer 13-13-13. then ran the disk over it once more. If we can get some rain in lampasas county, I should be good.

Comment

Oats here, too. Planted mine the Wednesday before Ike hit, hoping to get some rain from him. We got over an inch Sunday which was enough to get them goin. Now we need some more rain to keep em growing. Only planted them in my 30yrd x 15yrd feeder pen with a tiller.

Click image for larger version

Name:	oat pic 1.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	23856610

Click image for larger version

Name:	oat pic 2.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	23856611

Comment

my oats look about the same, I planted them the first weekend of September... I hope the hogs will let them be

Comment

I planted Imperial Whitetail Clover in Grayson Co. about 35 days ago and now I have a thick green clover carpet. Its comes back for up to 5 years, it sure grows better than turnips, or Austrian peas...

Comment

Before we sold our ranch in Menard County we would plant oats, wheat and purple top turnips. You still have time. The best thing you can do after they start coming up and right before a rain is to go in and put about 75-100lb per acre of fertilizer I think that we went with something like a 20-10-10. Never had luck with clover but I htink we buried the seed to deep.

Comment

how big of A PLOT DO U NEED I BOW HUNT ON 5000 ACERS OF CATTLE LAND AND CANT FENCE OFF ANYTHING TOO BIG?

Comment

Rain,Rain ,Rain

Comment

Working...
                      X