• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
    What is a "side belief?"
    what i was thinking

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      What is a "side belief?"

It has been worded better in some of the replies. I should have put more thought into my wording

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

How many sides do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
          I spent some time in SE Asia a while ago. Buddhism is a big part of life over there, and was interesting to me. The temples are often the center of the communities and where lots of the youths are educated. Many could speak English well and welcomed the chance to talk to a funny speaking Texan. They didnt convert me, but I was praying to everything holy when I had to ride down the Mekong in that speedboat, in a seat about as big as a shoe box.

I could think of some funny things to do at the deer lease with that “no killing area” sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
            Please, no Christian advice or endless bible phrases please.

Was in a really interesting conversation today regarding Buddhism and Christianity and it got me thinking....
            Anyone on the Green Screen practice Buddhism or keep it as a side belief ?
            No. I choose not to participate in beliefs based on people who are dead like I will be someday. There is no authority in relative morality.

Good question.

Comment

I don't know that much about Buddhism - I know more about Hinduism and I know that it is similar to Buddhism in many ways.
              Much like Christianity, Islam, Mormonism, etc. the Buddhist belief system has its ultimate goal in an 'eternal state' of some kind.
              And, much like any other faith system, the achievement of that ultimate goal is based on total commitment to that faith system - not on picking and choosing those aspects you like or agree with.
              If you want to eclectically piece together practices or beliefs from diametrically opposed faith systems, you are really creating a new religion with you at the center (the 'deity' determining what is and isn't good, right, etc.).
              Perhaps a person could find some benefits in practicing meditation (from Buddhism) without totally 'buying in' to Buddhism; perhaps one could find peace by practicing praying five times a day in a certain pose without becoming Muslim; a person may find better health by eating a Hindu diet without becoming a Hindu.
              However, I don't believe that any of those major faith systems would embrace you as an adherent or say you are on their path to the 'eternal state' unless you were totally committed to that faith system.

Comment

No sir, it's not "cool" at all. It comes down to your heart, and God knows our hearts. There is a word used in the Bible called repentance, which means to show sincere regret or remorse. As Christians, we should be trying to improve our walk with Christ daily, striving to be more like he was, aware of our sins as we walk the patch. If you go to the ranch next weekend, get drunk, cuss, and tell lies, and on the way home you feel remorseful about it, talk to God, and return the next weekend with the mindset your going to do your best to improve yourself, that's "cool". Might you fail? Sure, that it what I meant by Gods grace, he knows your trying and will be standing with you when you head back the following weekend. Hope that helps...
                Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                So it's cool to sin everyday, just say you're sorry before you go to bed?

Comment

All I know about buddhism, I learnt from a Ray Wylie Hubbard tune...

Comment

My understanding is that the 8 fold path is pretty important. Seems to me that you find a lot of the same themes in other religions.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Alan Watts though... am I right?

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy moss View Post
                        How many sides do you have?

Comment

CS Lewis said the difference between Christianity & all other religions or faiths is Grace

Comment

So many religions and everyone "thinks" theirs is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                              The term "agnostic" literally means "without knowledge".
                              Coming from someone that actually believes the crock of horse**** at the beginning of the bible....well...….lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                                Coming from someone that actually believes the crock of horse**** at the beginning of the bible....well...….lol.
                                C'mon BoB... easy... Don't make me put you back on my "ignore" list...

Comment

Working...
                                X