? for 4 wheeler mechanics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? for 4 wheeler mechanics

I have a 20 year old Yamaha 400 that runs great. But when I put it back in the garage it will slowly leak gas from the overflow line shown in the attached pics. It gradually empties the fuel tank and stinks up my garage horribly! Any suggestions?
    Attached Files

That's not an overflow for the gas tank that's the drain hose for the carburetor bowl. My Honda dirt bike had one of those. Make sure the screw is tightened down/ closed. That's used when the carb gets flooded you can open it to drain the float bowl then close it and start it. Anyone having more knowledge chime in but that's what I see from the photo.

Also a good idea on those older model wheelers to close the petcock valve if its gonna sit. will stop any gas from going into the carb. Also sounds like the carb might need a rebuild.
    Last edited by zr2chevy22; 05-20-2018, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Agree , carb needs rebuilding

Comment

My Kodiak 450 did the same thing. I bought a carb rebuild kit off of EBay, installed it and the problem was solved.

Comment

Float sticking.

Comment

Pull that drain screw out and hit it on a wire wheel.

Comment

Cheap/easy fix: turn the petcock valve off. It’ll only leak what’s left in float bowl and fuel line running from gas tank to carb.

Better fix: thorough cleaning and possible carb rebuild kit.

Comment

Both, turn valve off and run till dies when you park it for a while and rebuild the carb. That leak can turn dangerous in a garage or inclosed area. My Kodiak 400 did the same thing and then would leak gas into the crankcase and mix with the oil. I had a friend help with the carb work but parts are cheap.

Comment

they got it figured out

Comment

Thanks! I tried the simple fix of turning the valve off and it continued to run so I guess I've got an issue with it too. I've got too many irons in the fire to spend the necessary time on it (keep in mind nothing typically goes right when I tackle that kind of stuff so it takes me 4 times longer than the average person) so I decided to take it to a young man that has worked on it several times over the years. Will update the thread once I pick it up!

Comment

Working...
                    X