Interesting article on bow prices impact on pro shops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
    So far from the truth. Lots of great shops that have closed wish it was though cus they'd still be open.

In Texas and the US, we may see up to 50 percent of all bow shops close up this year. It's not bad service. It's many many things. Mainly that the industry is down 40 percent across the board. Every shop has been affected. It's sad to see cus there will be some great folks outta work. Those shops without diversity will go first. Some already have.

Another reason is the internet. People buying from some place like Amazon to save $5. Amazon doesn't give a **** about hunting. We are all guilty of it but man it needs to stop. Support your local shops guys. They're all hurting.

Oh and bow shops don't set bow prices.

Yep ^^^........ I was once a amazon or eBay guy but once I realized that eBay can't help me tweak my tuning or let me try out the new Elite. I'm not against buying something off the internet at all, but I will support small business whenever I can. Especially local archery shops.

Comment

Originally posted by Davoh View Post
      I hear ya. It's getting ridiculous. Wife and I finally just couldn't afford to live in Montgomery county any more after Exxon moved to the woodlands.

Plus you have the garbage that mayor Turner is pulling with the firefighter pensions in Houston, which governor Abbott just made legal. Makes me sick.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      Don't forget all the $50 million high school football stadiums. Talk about ridiculous.

Comment

So far from the truth. Lots of great shops that have closed wish it was though cus they'd still be open.

In Texas and the US, we may see up to 50 percent of all bow shops close up this year. It's not bad service. It's many many things. Mainly that the industry is down 40 percent across the board. Every shop has been affected. It's sad to see cus there will be some great folks outta work. Those shops without diversity will go first. Some already have.

Another reason is the internet. People buying from some place like Amazon to save $5. Amazon doesn't give a **** about hunting. We are all guilty of it but man it needs to stop. Support your local shops guys. They're all hurting.

The internet is a major variable. It's not even just bow shops. Look no further than Sears, Macy's and about 50 or so other brick and mortar retail outlets that are struggling; much of which, having to do with on-line shopping.

Combine that with the industry being down and it's not hard to see how so many shops are closing their doors.

Comment

Another reason is the internet. People buying from some place like Amazon to save $5. Amazon doesn't give a **** about hunting.

Well said.

Comment

Prices will continue to rise and hunters will continue to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ksbowhunter View Post
              Prices will continue to rise and hunters will continue to buy.
              Yes and no..

Comment

I hear ya. It's getting ridiculous. Wife and I finally just couldn't afford to live in Montgomery county any more after Exxon moved to the woodlands.

Plus you have the garbage that mayor Turner is pulling with the firefighter pensions in Houston, which governor Abbott just made legal. Makes me sick.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                I left HFD in 2007, my buddy was.tellinh me all that's going on with the FF pensions....I couldnt believe it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
                  I left HFD in 2007, my buddy was.tellinh me all that's going on with the FF pensions....I couldnt believe it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                  Probably another thread but im curious?

Comment

Interesting article on bow prices impact on pro shops

Good article but it failed to acknowledge the negative effect of pro staff and pro bowhunters. Lee and Tiffany don't shoot Mathews for free. That cost is passed on to the consumer. The relationship with PSE and Drury Outdoors has a direct effect on PSE prices. Every major archery related product has a pro-somebody pimping the goods that cost us more. It's all part of the free market system. The bubble will pop at some point and the mom and pop shops will pay the price well before the archery company does.
                    The internet is another major factor the article ignores. I've purchased every bow since 2005 off of the internet. The exception were 2 youth bows I bought for my son. Youth bows are not going to keep pro shops open.
                    I watch my spending and I buy used bows or new left overs from eBay or AT. Yes I'm adding to the issue but again it's a free market system. Archery companies need to adjust to the consumer because we vote with out wallets more than not. If they want to remain pro shop only, they need to adjust accordingly to stay alive.

...my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk spelling/grammar errors are likely to occur.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                      What's that old Econ 101 rule about supply and demand? As price goes up, eventually demand goes down, and then supply goes up and then price goes down and then demand goes up--or something like that.
                      That's the truth.

I know the situation is probably a little different in my little corner of the world, but there are a lot of serious hunters up here and very few brand new, flagship bows in the woods. They're just too expensive for the reasonable, average joe when he can kill a buck with a 2010 model just as easy.

I like our "local" shop, but I bought my first new bow in 10 years last year. Probably won't buy my next for another 10. Dad always said, "it's the Indian, not the arrow." That is true. Rabid consumerism doesn't pervade all markets, thank goodness.

Comment

True. There are some shops still going strong that have deplorable service. We will all miss those good Mom & Pop shops when they're gone.

Comment

The price of new bows, coupled with the fact that few manufacturers make a bow with a 32" draw length, means that I'll keep shooting my old bow. I'm not ready to pay the $1300 for a bare bow to get a 32" DL. So, I'll keep shooting my old Hoyt Super Slam Supreme from 1988. It's only a 30" draw but I have it rigged up to work pretty well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I've kind of been wondering this for a few years now. Same with bass boats. At a certain point, Joe blow just can't hope to have the nice stuff anymore.
                            Agree the internet has a big part in this, last few new bows I've bought were few year models old new in the box for a fraction of the price, why would I buy a current year model when the innovation year to year now isn't that much anymore. The bass boat deal really gets me, there are a few brands now pushing 100k, it doesn't seem that long ago a top of the line rig with all the bells and whistles was 20 maybe 25K tops.
                            Last edited by bossbowman; 06-04-2017, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Preach it Jeff....

Some shops go out of business because of poor customer service but its simple economics that when the cost of the bows rise and the shops can't sell them at their profit margin, they probably have to lay off the employees to offset the cost of losing business due to the rising cost of bows and archery equipment. When they lay off the help, then you have less employees to help complete work, then the complaining starts about crappy customer service and its a vicious cycle. No doubt the prices are ridiculous right now but them new bows suuuuuuuure look pretty

Comment

I was once guilty of buying a bow one place but buying the accessories other places to save a few bucks then have the bow shop install it all. Now I try to buy everything I can from the bow shop even if it cost 10-20% more just to give the "little guys" the business over the big boxes.

Comment

Working...
                                X