No announcement yet.

Recurve String Length Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richard has it figured about right. B50 will stretch about half an inch in the first thirty shots and the other half inch by one hundred.

Comment

Recurve String Length Question

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=617110

Found the thread. Some good info here.

Gary

Gary - thanks for the thread link. This was confirmed by an article I found by a string maker that goes by 60X on various forums.

61" is my final answer...after I confirm what I'm building is a 64" AMO bow. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk spelling/grammar errors are likely to occur.

Comment

I'm ordering the Flemish b50, so with 62 AMO, I'm getting their 58" string.

I wasn't asking for repetition, but when I saw the OP ordering 3inches short, I was just trying to make sure I wasn't ordering the wrong string for my own new bow by ordering the 4" shorter.

Comment

For my 64" bows with fast flight type strings, 60" is too short (for me). Gives me more brace height than I like. I make my strings (Flemish) 61" and add twist to about 60 3/4" to get the brace height I like. YMMV Works for me on my longbow as well as recurve ILF bow.

Comment

61" is correct.

Just remember, that length is what is called the under load/on the bow measurement.
            The relaxed/off the bow length will be a bit shorter, but how much shorter depends on what material is used to build the string.

If working with the fast flight variety string material for a flemish string, you could go with a 60.5" relaxed length, and be able to adjust to a properer brace height.

If using polyester type materials (B50, B55, etc) a 60" relaxed length should work.

Keep in mind though, those lengths assume the strings are well made, and properly prestretched during construction.

Rick

Comment

OR,
              since I own, and am currently shooting the exact same bow you are building, let me give you my string specs. I just measured it for you:

Bow - Hoyt Excel / Medium limbs / 64" / Set to 8.25" brace height

String - 12 strand Brownell's Rhino (this is one of the top shelf fast flight varieties)
              ............On the bow under load string length - Exactly 61"
              ............Off the bow relaxed length - 60.75"

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                OR,
                since I own, and am currently shooting the exact same bow you are building, let me give you my string specs. I just measured it for you:

Bow - Hoyt Excel / Medium limbs / 64" / Set to 8.25" brace height

String - 12 strand Brownell's Rhino (this is one of the top shelf fast flight varieties)
                ............On the bow under load string length - Exactly 61"
                ............Off the bow relaxed length - 60.75"

Rick

Rick -

Thank you for this information. You just answered the second question I was researching...BH.
                I know I've jumped into this project the hard way but I wanted to start with a solid platform which is why I chose the Excel riser. My goal is to shoot 3D and eventually hunt with it.

Robert

Comment

Robert, You're quite welcome.

My 8.25" brace height is at the lower end of what you should shoot the Excel at. Depending on the arrows, I recommend not going below 8", or above 9", and the Excel will perform great somewhere within that window. You'll just have to find the sweet spot.

I am shooting full length shafts that are a little weak in spine, so I started out low just to see how they would behave. They shoot pretty good, but I suspect after more tweaking with center shot, I will eventually wind up in the 8-5/8" to 8-3/4" area for my sweet spot on BH.

Thing is, a 61" string will give you all the adjustment you need to get where you want/need to be within the properly functioning BH window for that bow.

Rick

Comment

Funny thing, I went and measured the string that I made for my son's Excel before I posted here. It is exactly 4 inches shorter at 8-3/8 brace height. I will bow out now

Comment

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
                      Funny thing, I went and measured the string that I made for my son's Excel before I posted here. It is exactly 4 inches shorter at 8-3/8 brace height. I will bow out now
                      Ben, did you measure it on or off the bow?
                      Also what material?

The material will make a huge difference in what the off the bow measurement will be. Polyester materials like B50 will almost always measure 4 (or more) inches shorter than the bow length when they are measured relaxed.

Rick

Comment

I have found strings on bows to vary quite a bit. Gary, I think I remember you and I guestimating on the string length(correct?).

That's why I dont go off of what others say. I want an Actual String Length(ASL). The way I like to do it is have the bow at the BH you want, take it off the bow and measure it right away. Sure, it will shrink a little right as it is taken off, but it will be very close.

As Rick stated, some materials shrink a lot faster and farther than others, B55 being one of those!

FWIW, I have seen recurve strings go from everything from 2.5" shorter to almost 5. I have read on bowyers websites who didn't have been building bows for a very long time and not even they knew what string length was needed for one of their bows. Bottom line IMO is to get a bow and measure the string. A great tool for this is a tiller string. I believe I may start selling some(Cheaper than a custom string of coarse just to help people determine a string length.

Comment

I ordered a 61" Brownell XS2 custom string from 60X Custom Bowstrings today. I'll report back on my finding.

Thank you to everyone who helped out. My first recurve is slowly coming together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk spelling/grammar errors are likely to occur.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielb89 View Post
                            I have found strings on bows to vary quite a bit. Gary, I think I remember you and I guestimating on the string length(correct?).

That's why I dont go off of what others say. I want an Actual String Length(ASL). The way I like to do it is have the bow at the BH you want, take it off the bow and measure it right away. Sure, it will shrink a little right as it is taken off, but it will be very close.

As Rick stated, some materials shrink a lot faster and farther than others, B55 being one of those!

FWIW, I have seen recurve strings go from everything from 2.5" shorter to almost 5. I have read on bowyers websites who didn't have been building bows for a very long time and not even they knew what string length was needed for one of their bows. Bottom line IMO is to get a bow and measure the string. A great tool for this is a tiller string. I believe I may start selling some(Cheaper than a custom string of coarse just to help people determine a string length.
                            No. Not guessing on my part. As far as the Sage is concerned you had the answer. The Bear maybe but even a guess was better than the to short of string it had.

Wanting to know the original string length doesn't help when the original string is wrong. And honestly, too many people can't accurately read a tape measure. I'm not wrong on that. I've hired, fired and trained maintenance personnel for decades.

I do know I had a lot more stretch from the string for the Sage, which should have been FF material than from the one on the Bear which should have been non FF material.

However both strings have made a dramatic positve impact on the sound and vibration of the bows so overall I'm happy.

That said, I'm fixing to order one for the longer limbs, and I will order it 61". 3" shorter than the length of the bow.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                            X