No announcement yet.

Army question, please advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone for the replies. As for the girl, to me it seemed like BS but I was curious. Story I got was that the recruiter said to omit info about that injury and plates in mouth. I do not know what kind of plates or even if they exist. Supposedly she has called above him to be able to get out. She did go to SA and did MEPS and signed a commitment? Supposedly no x rays were taken? I have no military experience, but don't make sense to me. Supposedly the recruiter is getting demoted for this? I dont buy all this TBH. I always thought that in the real world, this was part of the recruiters job to get recruits? Somethings you put on the app and some things you dont? I would think he would advise correctly? I just dont get it all with her and being nosey I guess..

So due to this my son is changing recruiters, he has taken the PiCAT and received a 75. The recruiter gave him options for MOS and thats where we are at now. So as I understand it right now. Even though you go to MEPS, go thru the ceremony for signing in, you are not locked in until you go to bootcamp? Is this correct?
    giarcher, we may take you up on the offer, it is appreciated

Comment

If he wants to be a LEO my best advise is go to college and get hours. Very few guys I work with have military backgrounds.

Comment

Even after going to MEPS and swearing in, you have NO legal obligation until you ship off to basic. I don't care what any recruiter has to say. You can bail at any point until you get on that bus or airplane.

Now, if you are bailing last minute like that you obviously didn't think things through.

Comment

Recruiter is lying about LEO stuff. Its not easy to become an LEO despite what the public thinks. The ones that say i was gonna be a cop....probably werent. Some depts alliw you to waive the college requirement if you have 2 years or more Military with an honorable discharge.

Comment

Army question, please advise

You are correct. Until he's standing at boot camp, he can walk. However, it's likely going to be his one and only chance at getting into the military. It's something he needs to think about and not take lightly. He needs to be all in when he goes to MEPS.

Standing by for any assistance you need. I'm a GI but I'm also a parent with a son serving in the military. This is not an easy decision for anyone given today's world we serve/live in.

Comment

You can bail at anytime before actually completing Basic and they just boot you out. I am pretty sure nothing on record for not completing Basic. Even after basic, there is possibility of getting out of contract early. Back in January we chaptered one of my platoons soldiers out of the Army for failure to adapt. He had gotten done with OSUT and came to the unit. He had been there for like 2 months. Would show up and cry everyday. Said he was going to go to the chaplain and say he was suicidal so he could get out. I asked him why he even joined, especially infantry... This dude straight up said "I thought it was going to be like call of duty" and I lost my ****. This route will include stuff on record though. I f I remember correctly he got an other than honorable or something. It's dumb but it's actually pretty hard to get a dishonorable discharge these days.
              Sorry a bit off topic. But yeah, you can bail even after swear in.

Comment

Tell him to sign up as a Grunt!!! Best job I ever had. If I could do it again I would still be Infantry but I would have made sure I was stationed out of state somewhere instead of close to home. Infantry boot camp is good for any young man. Especially one that is making questionable choices.

Comment

The army would never lie to you. Once sworn in you belong to the military and they will do what they wish with you. I was trained (mos 11c40) as a forward observer FO for a weapons platoon. My job was calling in artillery and air strikes.
                  When I got to Nam I was made an assistant machine gunner in an infantry regiment. Ended up as a platoon sergeant. Never saw FO duty.

Comment

Working...
                  X