No announcement yet.

I have sleep apnea - CPAP questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mouth kept popping open from air building up til my cheeks puffes out and lips popped. It was comical until it was just plain ol annoying. For about 2 days after, my lungs and throat felt like i ran a mile in sub zero temps, like they felt wind burned or whatever when you exert yourself in the cold.

Wish they would hurry up. Still have not heard anything

Comment

Another point of advise, If you get a CPAP, get the humidifier that goes with it if you can!!!!!!!! It makes it much more comfortable and you can adjust it depending on your needs. I keep mine on a 2 out of 5 normally but Ive been taking cold meds that dry me out and being able to raise it to a 3 or 4 sure has made it more comfortable to sleep as well as kept my sinuses clear most of the night! Mine came with the humidifier and the heated hose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't done a study but I snore bad. I wouldn't be surprised to find out I have apnea.

1) I have to sleep on my side
        2) I breath through my nose
        3) Wife won't let me get a mask as I lost my nephew when he aspirated in his and died.

Any suggestions?

Comment

I have sleep apnea - CPCP questions

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
          I haven't done a study but I snore bad. I wouldn't be surprised to find out I have apnea.

3) Wife won't let me get a mask as I lost my nephew when he aspirated in his and died.

Any suggestions?

Get a sleep study done and don't use a full face mask. Use a nose only or hybrid mask and you'll not have any issues. I'd recommend your wife go with you if you need a CPAP. The docs or tech can help clear the concern she has.

I'm very sorry about you tragic loss. The nose pillow style mask would not cause that to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
            There's a member on here who used to be a respiratory therapist.
            I forgot his screen name.
            I'm one, but i haven't been in the cooler

Here is a good article on sleep apnea and the affects on the heart
            Last edited by Tye; 11-07-2016, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by texasbbq View Post
              Whomever you decide to purchase your CPAP from will have to have your prescription from your sleep Dr in order to set the pressures or your sleep Dr will have to set them for you when you get the machine. Not something you can do on your own.

I'd recommend getting your mask from CPAP.com and get the "return insurance." Costs about $20 but you may have to try several styles of mask before you find one that will work.

Good luck and stay with it, going to take a while before you get all of the equipment dialed in for you.
              I know several people have recommended purchasing the face mask from cpap.com with their return insurance. However, the Mirage Quattro, for instance, is $176 from cpap.com or $101 from Amazon. What is the advantage in paying $96 more (including the $20 return insurance) to buy from cpap.com?

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                I know several people have recommended purchasing the face mask from cpap.com with their return insurance. However, the Mirage Quattro, for instance, is $176 from cpap.com or $101 from Amazon. What is the advantage in paying $96 more (including the $20 return insurance) to buy from cpap.com?
                Not sure about cpap supplies, but amazon has a no questions asked return policy on most items within 14 days. Only issue is 14 days isnt nearly enough time to get used to cpap. took me almost 4 months before I was leaving it on for more than a few hrs each night and 7 months in, Im still struggling some nights but slowly getting better. My insurance covers a new mask every 6 months.

Comment

I ordered 2 masks from cpap.com to try and will probably return one of them. I'll post again after I try the machine and hopefully get some good sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post

Any suggestions?
                    I go to church with the second couple on this site, Julie and Darryl. He has used this device for several years and they both say it works great.

https://puresleep.com/s30/homepage.p...FZSEaQodp2QChw

Comment

No clue if i could have gone another route, but the drs office handled everything around getting my machine. So i have an appt tomorrow to get it all.... to the tune of $1200. My lovely insurance isn't covering anything because i havent met my deductible. Hopefully after getting bent over for that, i can still save enough money to give the kids a decent Christmas.

Comment

Finally got my nose pillow mask about 10 days ago. Works MUCH better than the other mask I had. I was averaging 3-4 hrs a night with the old mask before I took it off in my sleep. 5 of the 7 days with the nose pillow mask I have had to turn off the machine and remove the mask when my alarm went off 6-7 hrs later! Starting to notice the increased energy during the day and not feeling like Im risking falling asleep on the 45 min drive home everyday!!

Comment

I bought a couple gimmicks to see if it helped. I couldn't keep them in for more than and hour or two.

Comment

.. in to read later...I been on one since 2004 and love mine...time for a new one and it will be all out of pocket I know. need to read up on options and new machines vs my VPap/BI PAP. I couldn't stand a cpap

Comment

Not that you asked, but I went the surgery route (UPPP). It stopped my sleep apnea, but I still snored loud, so I went for the elected Pillar procedure. While the UPPP gave me immediate results, the Pillar procedure was a waste.

Not sure if you have ever heard of Provent/Theravent, but it does make me snore less, and the Provent is prescribed for folks with sleep apnea. I use Theravent every night, so my wife can get some sleep.

Comment

Working...
                              X