Hey Oilfield Guys!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
    Im pretty much stuck in the industry until the end unless. Dad has owned the company for 20 years. I pretty much run the place and won't leave unless it goes belly up. we can build other stuff on our machines but I hope it doesn't come to that.
    Yea I'm not going into anything else either. A 9-5 isn't for me and I'm pretty good at what I do. If it comes to it I'll just take an extended vacation until it picks back up. That's what I save for

Only time I would do anything else is if I was sitting out a bust and was just bored at home everyday

Comment

I feel for you guys in this. Salary level and benefits aside, I wouldn't be trying/wanting to change professions if this is what I loved to do for a living. Just like the previous times, those who ride this out will end up benefiting in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by SB09
        I can tell you're frustrated and I totally understand why. But, please don't put others down because of it. O&G isn't the only occupation where a person can make a good living. There is many more occupations that pay just as much, sometimes more, than O&G. I know because I'm working my way into one as we speak. Besides that, some people are happy with what they do for reasons besides a salary. Doesn't mean they're any less of a person than someone who works this industry. I, for one, don't want, "the life" in your words. I'm not interested in it. Doesn't mean I'm a miserable person, with a miserable life, working a dead end job. That's a broad blanket statement. Doesn't mean I hate people that work in the O&G industry either. I'm sure you dislike it when someone makes a blanket statement aimed at ones living, "the life" right?
        Steve is about as good a guy as they come and I know he doesn't mean people who aren't in O&G are any less of a person.. Some guys here are struggling and the frustration will show and show more and worse when certain people keep coming here to poke at them

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
          Steve is about as good a guy as they come and I know he doesn't mean people who aren't in O&G are any less of a person.. Some guys here are struggling and the frustration will show and show more and worse when certain people keep coming here to poke at them
          I understand that for sure. Just feels like a blanket statement in my opinion. Maybe others will see it differently. Hopefully he can clarify who he is talking about when he gets back on. I've read his post for years now. It's really easy to tell the kind of man he is from those previous posts. Never seen him post comments like that. I could tell frustration had a lot to do with it. I wasn't trying to call him a bad person at all, hopefully he doesn't read my comments as such. Past historical evidence, even though I've never met him, tells an entirely different story. Just wanted to provide an outsider perspective on the comments. No hard feelings from me, hopefully no hard feelings from him either.

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
            I understand that for sure. Just feels like a blanket statement in my opinion. Maybe others will see it differently. Hopefully he can clarify who he is talking about when he gets back on. I've read his post for years now. It's really easy to tell the kind of man he is from those previous posts. Never seen him post comments like that. I could tell frustration had a lot to do with it. I wasn't trying to call him a bad person at all, hopefully he doesn't read my comments as such. Past historical evidence, even though I've never met him, tells an entirely different story. Just wanted to provide an outsider perspective on the comments. No hard feelings from me, hopefully no hard feelings from him either.
            Yea I could tell he was pretty mad when I read it. Your comment won't be taken bad I don't think

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
              Yea I could tell he was pretty mad when I read it. Your comment won't be taken bad I don't think
              That's good to hear. I was second guessing myself a little. All you guys keep your heads up! Glass half full! Things are never as bad as they seem and things are never as good as they seem either. There's just absolutely no way things can remain like they are forever. We all rely on the industry entirely too much for it to stay this low.

Comment

Let's not forget the poor mineral owners. They are taking a huge hit. How would you like to be selling your stuff on the cheap?

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                  Let's not forget the poor mineral owners. They are taking a huge hit. How would you like to be selling your stuff on the cheap?
                  Don't give it away.

Comment

On the bright side of a dark thread, I took the plunge two months ago and accepted an offer from one of our competitors. I was hesitant at first with this being a terrible time to switch jobs, but boy I'm glad I did. My old boss was a huge alcoholic and my new boss is the polar opposite. He and I are already in talks of starting a bible study. To top it all off, July was the 2nd best bonus month I've had in my 4 years in the oilfield!

Comment

Jsapp how can you say what I said is not accurate? I know many DD's that made 1300+ a day contract and work 25-28 days a month

Comment

Bphillips you are right obviously not many make that I was just saying it for affect that some do make it and in my mind it was worth being away from my family...

Comment

I tried forever to get into the patch. Everyone wanted someone with experience. I finally gave up and started a hotshot company, made good money after a few month but I had to spend a lot of time on the road, had three truck's running and wasn't too hard to make 1000-1500 a day. Had a son on the way so needed to be home so I sold my contracts and started a small logging business. Easy $1000 a day there. Made cash and put money back then the spring rains set in and now I'm staying at home with my son while the wife works. She's a business banker, makes $87,000 a year salary plus quarterly bonuses(last was $3000). She works 8:30 to 4 Monday through Friday. Oilfield is a good gig but it isn't the only place to make a good living

Comment

Every single OG worker I have ever known takes it so personal when you talk about how majority aka most aka 51% or more don't know how to manage their money

Remeber a big flux of these people got in the field for the big money when it was hot. THere is a reason they did.....easy money and cant make that money many other places with the hours worked

So dont take it personal and remember you chose this path

WIth that being said God BLess Texas and I hope oil goes up soon.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                              Every single OG worker I have ever known takes it so personal when you talk about how majority aka most aka 51% or more don't know how to manage their money

Remeber a big flux of these people got in the field for the big money when it was hot. THere is a reason they did.....easy money and cant make that money many other places with the hours worked

So dont take it personal and remember you chose this path

WIth that being said God BLess Texas and I hope oil goes up soon.

Same can be said for every other field. Not all of us exactly "chose" it.

Comment

Report: Most Canada Oil Sands Crude Produced At A Loss - See more at: http://www.rigzone.com/news/oil_gas/....Hml25Gw5.dpuf

Comment

Working...
                                X