Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > History/Traditions > John "Tuthdoc" Lee Threads

Old 12-29-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
tuthdoc
Ten Point

Default fill feeder and hunt?

There was a thread about filling feeders the same day you hunt. I figured I would present pictorial evidence that you can do that.

I dropped Dog off at his stand to hunt a big double drop 10 and decided to fill one of my feeders before going to another stand to try and video a couple big bucks that had been seen in my area. I wouldn't normally fill a feeder this late. I like to do it in the middle of the day, but I wasn't planning on hunting the feeder. I went in at 4, filled the feeder, put out some chum corn and a pile of Acorn Rage.

Name:  feeder fill.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  169.1 KB

10 minutes later the turkeys come in. They stayed for an hour.

Name:  10 minutes later.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  174.0 KB

less than two hours after all that activity at the feeder, the deer arrive.

Name:  deer arrive.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  123.2 KB

If I had climbed up in my tree stand, I could have had turkey and backstraps. That's a pretty nice young 8. A year or two and he'll be nice.

Name:  nice young 8.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  56.1 KB

He likes Acorn Rage and the Fusion screw block. I've got a lot of pics of him over the last several months eating both. There's not much left of the fusion block. You can see it on the tree in the background. I guess this is also a thread that confirms Acorn Rage as an attractant.

Name:  likes acorn rage.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  55.0 KB

Here's a definate cull. It's the kind of deer that we like to kill to get out of the herd. Short 3's are common on our place. He needs a Rage of a different kind.

Name:  cull.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  56.4 KB

We're going back this week to try and get our doe and cull numbers up. Mailman will get one more try at his trophy.
tuthdoc is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
BIG D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Zavala County

Great pictorial. I have noticed the same thing on my cameras.
BIG D is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
BadtotheBow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb

nice picks. I guess it doesnt hurt anything
BadtotheBow is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
billinkb
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad Co. Aransas Co. Lake Amistad, Bee County

I've never had a problem doing this on my lease as well. Guess it all depend on the hunting pressure.
billinkb is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

I filled a feeder and placed a new tripod yesterday afternoon, then shot a spike that evening.
SmTx is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
predatorsniper
Ten Point

Hunt In: West Texas

Right after I set my feeder up back in August I think I noticed a little more delay before the deer would start showing up.....but that's definitely not the case now....not even with the mature deer as far as I can tell.

Great post.....interested in hearing other folks experiences.

predatorsniper
predatorsniper is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #7
cehorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, TX

Quote:
I've never had a problem doing this on my lease as well. Guess it all depend on the hunting pressure.
I think this is the most important statement of the whole thread. The place I hunt is surrounded by very small "ranches" and as a result, the pressure on the deer is very high. We can tell a difference in deer activity if we drive around our place too much filling feeders, etc. That's not to say we won't still see deer that evening, but the number of deer will be down and they are much more skitish.
cehorn is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

That was me that had the question about filling and hunting. Deer are just not coming to our feeders, and if they do it's at night. I have been on 44 hunts and have seen 3 deer and none came to the feeder. Not all 44 hunts were at the feeder. Camera has been out since Sept. and I do not have one pic of a doe, all bucks. My season last year was about the same. Sorry had to vent.
oktx is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #9
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen / Refugio

Ugh.....my lease sucks.....you have more bucks at your stand 5 hours after filling a feeder than I've had all season!

Cool photos doc, those turkeys are begging to get whacked!
kyle1974 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2008, 05:41 PM   #10
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Cotulla

MMMMM, I can fill my feeder and chum and have deer watching me climb into my stand. Mostly does and spikes. Takes awhile for the bigger boys to come out.....if at all.
Jen-Man is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2008, 05:42 PM   #11
Hogwild
Six Point

Hunt In: Rusk County,Hunt County

nice picks, hopefully after march I can start posting some of those, thats when I will be looking for a lease. man its exciting as it will be my first lease. I hope my pics will look that gd / productive
Hogwild is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #12
muzzyslinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson and Fannin Counties

where are the raccoons
muzzyslinger is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #13
Roamer
Ten Point

In that last pic, did ya'll catch that one buck and saw his horns off? Because it looks like he might of had some and now he does not.LMAO!!
Roamer is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #14
hoythunter02
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady, Texas

The proof is in the pudding!
hoythunter02 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2008, 10:59 PM   #15
tuthdoc
Ten Point

No, he just has some skanky looking short multiple spikes.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:12 PM   #16
UncleCharlie
Eight Point

Looks like you guys got them trained pretty well there on the Junco. They hear a truck and know that there will be a treat shortly thereafter.

Reminds of the ranch we hunted in McMullen County. You would feed down a sendero. Turn around to go to the next sendero and literally be running deer off the corn you had just thrown. Low fence place but had the 'tamest' deer I've ever seen. The ranch had a ton of oil production and there were trucks on it day and night 24/7. I think the deer got accustomed to all the activity and weren't as spooky.
UncleCharlie is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2008, 11:18 PM   #17
tuthdoc
Ten Point

That's not the Junco. It's our place SW of Dallas. These deer aren't tame. With the poaching, we want them WILD. They hear a truck, they leave, but it doesn't take them long to come back once the truck is gone. On the Junco, we feed the roads and they'll come to the roads. On our place, we don't feed the roads. It is a bummer because it's nice to corn roads and watch deer, but if we did that, they'd get shot when we weren't there worse than they do now. It seems they know the difference between a truck at a feeder and one on the roads. Smart animals.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #18
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Nice thread TD!! Rage 'em!!
Fishndude is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2008, 11:31 PM   #19
UncleCharlie
Eight Point

It's a shame that poaching is such an issue for you guys.

I'd love to see all the pictures that you don't post on here.
UncleCharlie is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2008, 12:25 AM   #20
supertrooperl14
Ten Point

Hunt In: SE New Mexico, Robert Lee

Very cool. I need those type of deer.
supertrooperl14 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2008, 12:31 AM   #21
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilco

What's up with that deer in the last pic? The deer on the left? Looks like it needs a hammerhead.

Wac M Stack M on here had pics of a Hill County Triple play. He filled the feeder and had turkeys, 9 pointer that we had been hunting and pigs come in all within about 2 hours. Heck I have had turkeys come in to the feeder when I walked to the truck for the 2nd bag of corn.
txtimetravler is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2008, 05:57 AM   #22
shawn
Ten Point

Hunt In: without a lease this go around.

Tuthdoc, I went hunting w/ my daughter and had forgotten my hand corn so I had to go down to the feeder and set it off. Was walking back up to my gun blind, look back and two does were standing 10 yards behind the feeder waiting on me to get out of there.
shawn is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2008, 07:40 AM   #23
tuthdoc
Ten Point

This past Friday morning, we heard a shot on the ranch. It was fairly close to Dog, so he made tracks from his bowblind to his truck and took off in that direction. He didn't see anyone, so he hurried toward the front gate. He didn't see a dust trail, so they were a good way ahead of him. He heard a vehicle gun out of there on the highway. We didn't see any sign of what they shot or exactly where, but it's just typical. The ranch hands and farm hands won't keep the gate closed, so it was easy for them to go in and out. I wired it shut when I left. We could grow some really nice deer if we could get some age on them. We lose some deer to the neighbors hunting the borders, but that's just life on a low fence with people with the "brown and down" syndrone. It's the deer we lose to people that aren't supposed to be on the property that really hurts.