No announcement yet.

The official Whiskey (bourbon) thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you guys like Crown regular, black, or reserve? I bought the most expensive one (reserve or gold) but didn't care that much for it. The lady did tell me a few customers swore that Crown Black was better and cost a lot less. Now I'm scared to try the black LOL. I know I like regular Crown.

Anyone ever try the Roasted Carmel Whiskey? That stuff is good but can get you hammered if your not careful It's really cheap also.

Comment

Originally posted by Heathbar_tx View Post
      These bottles were not sold by buffalo trace. They were only given to charities for them to either raffle or auction off. Buffalo Trace put a value of $10k per bottle but none have come close to that in auctions, in fact I believe the first bottle auctioned off went for below $1k.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      You are correct about the bottles being given to charities and the "perceived" or "pie in the sky" values put on the bottles. Buffalo Trace, as I understand, simply used that "value" as what they expected the auctions/raffles to raise. This bottle was raffled here in Longview for a children's interactive museum. My buddy bought it from the guy who won it. He was hoping to sell it for $4m-$5m, but was not able. My buddy, who is a pretty big collector, offered him $2500, and he took it. Like anything else they are worth what someone is willing to pay. Rare bottles generally don't get drank.

Comment

I agree with BigL, I love Basil Hayden bourbon on ice. I think Blantons is better but it's hard to find in the wild. Most restaurants have BH and most don't have Blantons.

Anxious to see y'alls thoughts on the Tx bourbon, bought a bottle the other day but haven't gotten into it yet.

Comment

Knob Creek. But now I have a few more to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
            I agree with BigL, I love Basil Hayden bourbon on ice. I think Blantons is better but it's hard to find in the wild. Most restaurants have BH and most don't have Blantons.

Anxious to see y'alls thoughts on the Tx bourbon, bought a bottle the other day but haven't gotten into it yet.
            TX was good. Had a slight aftertaste of sweetness.

Comment

Just tried the Rebecca Creek and wasn't impressed with the first taste. Not bad enough to throw out, but as a straight or neat drink.... not as good as Larceny or Knob Creek.

Javi

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
                Visited a new Total Wine by work yesterday. They have Four Roses Single Barrel for $33 bottle.

I was impressed with four roses.

Very smooth

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                  Far and away one of the best rye's I've had, especially for cocktails. Though I'd say angel's envy rum finished rye is a better sipper.
                  Yeah, the more I drink it the more I like it. I'll have to try the Angels Envy rye.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckySWT View Post
                    I was impressed with four roses.

Very smooth
                    Same here, goes down way to easy.

Comment

I picked up a bottle of EH Taylor small batch today. At 100proof we'll see if it's as smooth as I've been reading

Comment

Green Spot, Yellow Spot, Jefferson's Ocean (look up the cool story), Hirsch, TX (Blended), etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Heathbar_tx View Post
                          These bottles were not sold by buffalo trace. They were only given to charities for them to either raffle or auction off. Buffalo Trace put a value of $10k per bottle but none have come close to that in auctions, in fact I believe the first bottle auctioned off went for below $1k.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                          My buddy bought an '83 bottle for $500 at a charity silent auction in Houston...can't wait til he opens it!

Comment

A wise man once said "there is no bad whiskey/whisky, just those you like better than others".

I think he is right. I prefer Ranger 44, Whistle Pig 10yr, and Russel's Reserve. It takes some doing to make a higher proof smooth, thats how I usually judge it.

Comment

My three favorites are Old Charter, Weller and Buffalo Trace and have been for years. I just recently found that all three are distilled at the same distillery! Go figure! LOL

Comment

Rebecca Creek...

Comment

Working...
                                X