Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paracord rifle sling project- need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paracord rifle sling project- need help!

I have a desire to learn, a written plan, materials and most important TBH!

I hope when done somebody else can use this as tutorial.

I am doing my 1st paracord project, a rifle sling. I need some help and pointers to how to do this. I've watched a dozen paracord youtube videos and get the general idea, never knew there were so many different knots/patterns and did not find what I think I needed.

The sling will be 39" from swivel to swivel. To simplify project #1 I will make it a fixed length. The wider area for my shoulder is either 14" long plus 2" of the narrower pattern, or 16" long and goes all the way to the swivel. I want it configured like this because I always turn my slings around "bass ackwards" on rifiles and shotguns first to carry it muzzle down, and second that way I can wrap the sling around my left wrist to steady the shot if I need it. I learned to shoot a 22 that way as a kid and it still makes sense to me.

Here are my starting points- a plan and 100' of camo para cord. Questions:

1. Is the cobra the best pattern to use? What others?
    2. What is a good youtube video to learn it? (I've seen a couple, wonder if there is a better one)
    3. Is the double cobra the best way to make the shoulder portion wider? How do I start that (follow double cobra video)?
    4. How to I end the double cobra in the middle of the sling?

Here we go.

Very interested in this, but I cant offer any advice. I have always wanted a paracord sling. Good Luck.

Comment

1. Is the cobra the best pattern to use? What others?
      2. What is a good youtube video to learn it? (I've seen a couple, wonder if there is a better one)
      3. Is the double cobra the best way to make the shoulder portion wider? How do I start that (follow double cobra video)?
      4. How to I end the double cobra in the middle of the sling?

1. For a sling, yes cobra is the best to use. It is flat and will do better than other "rounder" braids.

2. This video [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOjO9WukzWc"]Cobra Stitch Duck Call Lanyard (Part 1) - YouTube[/ame] will teach you everything you want to know. Different application, but the same in principal.

3 & 4. Yes double cobra or triple cobra. I did the math and you should have plenty of cord as long as you don't mess up. You might even have enough for the triple cobra. Watch the videos and if you still don't get it shoot me a PM and I will try and help ya. Starting a double cobra is super easy. No Worries

Comment

When I try to learn something like that with a repeating pattern and physical dexterity, it reminds me why I can't dance. Thanks and I'm starting to learn the basic cobra tieing pattern.

Comment

I think the pad should be free to move..this way you can carry muzzle up or down...sort of rain or shine...right handed shooter would carry on left with muzzle down...very fast pull up for aim and fire

Comment

Here's a pic of one I made for a fellow TBH'r.
            Feel free to ask any ?'s if you have them
            Attached Files

Comment

First success. Single cobra pattern to learn the basic knots. Next up a practice double cobra. I know it would look more "tacti-cool" if I threw in some black for the long pieces for the sling. Let's see how it progresses.

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
                I think the pad should be free to move..this way you can carry muzzle up or down...sort of rain or shine...right handed shooter would carry on left with muzzle down...very fast pull up for aim and fire
                If it's woven over the longer one, yes you're right- as usual! My buddy JD still can't get over what a small world it is that he travels CA to Texas to pig hunt and met you!

Comment

Originally posted by WKH2213 View Post
                  Here's a pic of one I made for a fellow TBH'r.
                  Feel free to ask any ?'s if you have them
                  How did you vary the width on the sling? Somehow got more paracord rope added in just those areas?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                    If it's woven over the longer one, yes you're right- as usual! My buddy JD still can't get over what a small world it is that he travels CA to Texas to pig hunt and met you!
                    yes it is small...we'll meet some day...I mean I was born over in that state...and he's a good guy!

Comment

I have made numerous paracord slings and can help you out. First off make you a simple jig so that it frees up your hands. The cobra weave is the easiest of all the knot to master. I will shoot you a p.m with my number and yo can give me a call. I can explain better talking than typing hahaha.

Comment

Me too, call in a couple minutes. Thanks.

Comment

I started at the bottom of the sling and worked toward the barrel. Once I got to the end, I just kept weaving back down the sling until I had the second width as long as I wanted it. For the pad (third width) I just wove the cord into the area and did a cobra over it and tied it back into the sling to finish it off.
                          Used about 85 ft of cord

Comment

What I did was screw the two sling bracket things down to a 2x4 exactly the length I wanted them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                              Me too, call in a couple minutes. Thanks.
                              Thanks for the time and information on the phone. This is the best web site and truly great people!

Comment

Working...
                              X