Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > History/Traditions > John "Tuthdoc" Lee Threads

Old 06-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #101
tuthdoc
Ten Point

OK, where was I. Oh yeah, I was perched up in a tree. As the evening got later, the axis started coming in all in my chum. I didn't realize the one on the left was the big one or I'd have been bow in hand ready to shoot.

I had these already in, including the big one to my left from the other post. I also had one roaring by the windmill. It was getting interesting. The first one is very puny for this ranch and probably needs a dirt nap. The others are up and comers.

Name:  DSC00772.JPG
Views: 422
Size:  121.6 KB

Name:  DSC00778.JPG
Views: 426
Size:  128.1 KB

Name:  DSC00780.JPG
Views: 429
Size:  115.6 KB

Name:  DSC00790.JPG
Views: 422
Size:  115.6 KB

Name:  DSC00777.JPG
Views: 430
Size:  87.4 KB

I was having a great hunt, then it happened. It started small, but it worried me from the beginning. I couldn't do anything to help. I tried to slowly reach for my Gatorade, but it was too late. A very small piece of phlegm was teeter-toting on my trachea. I was desparate to make it go the esophagus way and not down the pipe. I just couldn't help it. I can stop a sneeze, but haven't figured out how to suppress a cough. Some ahems and other slightly noisey methods to clear the throat and chest didn't help. All Hades broke loose. What started as a couple light coughs that didn't alarm anything turned into a vein busting hackfest. Stuff went everywhere. The whitetails and a couple of the smaller bucks came back in, but not the big one. Crud. So ended day one.
tuthdoc is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #102
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Doc .... Doc..... Doc..... Doc.....

the peanut gallery is anxiously awaiting for a massive Axis LDP's

best of luck and congrats to Bobby on his Axis

cb <*)))>{
Cajun Blake is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2008, 08:50 PM   #103
buck_wild
Ten Point

Mitch, that one with the curvy beams is sweet and looks to be post mature.

All of them are very nice.
buck_wild is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #104
bearslayer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mass, Vermont, Texas

I love this thread. Hope you get one on the ground soon!
bearslayer is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #105
tx10pt
Ten Point

Hunt In: no place this year

Congrats Bobby and good luck to the rest! Now hurry up and shoot one!
tx10pt is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2008, 09:20 PM   #106
Eric4x4
Ten Point

Hunt In: Louise, Texas / SE Kansas/SE Oklahoma

Very nice big congrats
Eric4x4 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2008, 10:25 PM   #107
tuthdoc
Ten Point

Second morning found me back on the hill. I was still hoping to kill one of the three big ones that were hanging around that area. They lived across the fence, but I had seen them in the area of my blind on 3 occasions. It started out with a young Japanese sika waiting in the Chaffehay from the morning before. No corn left and very little hay. He watched me feed and almost got back to the chum before I could get in the blind.

Name:  DSC00794.JPG
Views: 414
Size:  122.5 KB

I had the same group of small bucks that were in the spot the first morning.

Name:  DSC00804.JPG
Views: 413
Size:  126.1 KB

Name:  DSC00796.JPG
Views: 397
Size:  143.5 KB

Then one of them looked to the left and here he came.

Name:  DSC00803.JPG
Views: 392
Size:  133.2 KB

It was the same buck from week 2 that had the velvet hanging off that gave me so many shot opportunities. Now, he was clean, added a little color and looked GOOD! I decided to try and kill him.

Name:  DSC00806.JPG
Views: 395
Size:  133.1 KB

Name:  DSC00807.JPG
Views: 394
Size:  135.9 KB

Name:  DSC00808.JPG
Views: 395
Size:  138.8 KB

Name:  DSC00809.JPG
Views: 396
Size:  130.4 KB
Old 06-17-2008, 10:29 PM   #108
Mertz09
Ten Point

Hunt In: Schleicher Co.

All those Bucks ! YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME !
Mertz09 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2008, 10:34 PM   #109
tuthdoc
Ten Point

Man, was he WIRED! I don't know what his problem was. He was twitchy and jumpy and wouldn't settle in. No way could I have drawn on him, much less hit him where I was aiming. He'd eat, then run off a bit, look around, then come back in. He barked several times. The others paid him no attention and just kept eating. I videoed him just long enough to get some footage. You can see the top cam of my bow in the pics. Bobby asked me why I didn't shoot him when he was broadside. I told him not only could I not shoot him, I was afraid to even try and pick up the bow or put down the camera. When he moved to one of my other holes, I put the camera down, got the bow up and ready and stayed like that, ready to kill him, for about 15 or 20 minutes. No shot opportunity. He finally wandered off. His only problem is that I KNOW where he lives.

I don't know if it's being in this border area with the other big deer that has him jumpy or the fact that one of his cronies got killed the morning before while he was having a leisurely breakfast. All I know is that on this morning, he'd make coffee nervous.

Name:  DSC00810.JPG
Views: 384
Size:  122.3 KB

Name:  DSC00811.JPG
Views: 393
Size:  136.9 KB

Name:  DSC00812.JPG
Views: 392
Size:  130.8 KB

Name:  DSC00813.JPG
Views: 397
Size:  132.2 KB
Old 06-17-2008, 10:40 PM   #110
low_tec
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas County

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuthdoc View Post
All I know is that on this morning, he'd make coffee nervous.

This thread gets better by the minute, don't stop
low_tec is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2008, 11:02 PM   #111
Jamesl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado, New Mexico

John, I had one of those black japanese sikas (of course I didn't know what it was) out in front of where I parked the ranger after a hunt. Stayed about 10 yards from me until I left.
Jamesl is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2008, 11:06 PM   #112
tuthdoc
Ten Point

That evening, I decided to go back to my blind where Bobby killed his buck. The buck I saw that morning and the long beamed one that I passed up the first two hunts were regulars there. I figured I'd shoot whichever one gave me a good shot.

I was covered up with whitetails for over an hour before the first axis came in. I could see them coming out of a cover that had a spring near a cliff. One was the long beamed buck and the other looked like the buck from the morning. They followed the dry creek bed and disappeared. I thought maybe they were going to my hill.

A little later, as the axis bucks started showing up, a wide, light horned buck came into my corn. 16 to 18 yards and he gave me every shot I could possibly want. Only thing is, he didn't lood as big. So, I started having doubts. Was this the same buck or was there one that looked like him, but a little smaller. Was it the same principle as in New Mexico? When you buy chips in Houston and carry them to the mountains in New Mexico, the bag blows up and gets bigger. Was this buck bigger on my hill due to barometric pressure gradiants? All I know is that I convinced myself it was a different buck and wasn't taking any chances on killing the wrong one. This one was way too calm to be the same buck on the hill.

Name:  DSC00814.JPG
Views: 383
Size:  117.7 KB

Name:  DSC00815.JPG
Views: 389
Size:  117.0 KB

Name:  DSC00816.JPG
Views: 377
Size:  118.0 KB

Name:  DSC00817.JPG
Views: 380
Size:  117.3 KB

Name:  DSC00710.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  130.6 KB

Name:  DSC00707.JPG
Views: 374
Size:  137.0 KB

Name:  DSC00696.JPG
Views: 383
Size:  127.7 KB
Old 06-17-2008, 11:08 PM   #113
tuthdoc
Ten Point

James, I got two pretty nice Japanese sika on TC in that area where you told me to look for that big buck in the draw, through the gate. They are both starting their 8th points already. I'll post pics when I get to the TC part of this long dissertation. LOL
Old 06-17-2008, 11:11 PM   #114
Brian H
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas/Burnet/Kansas/Iowa

Awesome thread guys. Can't wait to see the next round.
Brian H is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2008, 11:17 PM   #115
tuthdoc
Ten Point

Before I let the buck go, I zoomed in on his spot pattern and memorized some distinct markings so that I could compare to the other buck back at camp. Looking closely on his left shoulder, you can see (or at least I can with my imagination) a 5 deuce like on a domino. So I named him the 5 deuce buck, of course. He has a similar marking on his right shoulder, but not as clear a domino, and he has a line of 6 dots. He also has a line of 5 dots behind the left shoulder. That should be an easy ID.

Name:  DSC00702.JPG
Views: 378
Size:  142.2 KB

Name:  DSC00703.JPG
Views: 379
Size:  128.1 KB

Name:  DSC00697.JPG
Views: 384
Size:  127.2 KB

When I got back to camp, I pulled up pics on the computer and compared. Guess what? Same buck. Drat.

Bobby and Mitch said he looked just as big in all the pics. I told them that they just had to be there. After they called me an idiot a couple times, I went to bed. LOL So ended day 2.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:32 PM   #116
HillCountryBowHunter
Six Point

This is an awesome thread Tuth, keep it goin.... It's gettin me psyched about my feeder that has a big Axis visiting it!
HillCountryBowHunter is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2008, 11:50 PM   #117
Jamesl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado, New Mexico

Well I don't know about "big" like you and Mitch mean "big". You and Mitch should have to use a different word to describe "big axis".
Jamesl is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2008, 12:02 AM   #118
JimN
Ten Point

and the saga continues.......
JimN is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2008, 12:08 AM   #119
TrickyOlGus
Administrator

I thought I knew the outcome of this hunt, but I am beggining to wonder. Doc, I'd have shot that buck or Mitch's cud chewer in a second. They both do it for me. Awesome recap. I can't wait for he rest of the story.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TrickyOlGus is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2008, 12:10 AM   #120
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
Where can you get a good Axis in velvet? Just have to wait for an escapee? I didn't think any of the ranches let you shoot velvet Axis....
Most ranches that I know of will let you shoot one in velvet. But I have heard about a couple on here that won't allow it. Kinda strange I think.

TD, You're killing me! Shoot one already!
Chance Love is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #121
bdphunt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Taylor and Shackelford County

Has there been a better series of threads on TBH? Hard to think of many that compare. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait for the next post.
bdphunt is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #122
Howard
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Carta Valley

wow, I still can not beleive you didnt smoke that joker! Beautiful bucks!
Howard is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #123
Cull
Pope & Young

Tuthdoc,
Those dots make great aiming point.
Cull is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #124
tuthdoc
Ten Point

OK, after the 5/deuce buck hunt, I was back in the same blind next morning. I was going to kill him if he came in. I also had the long beamed buck in this area, and I decided he'd do also.

Well, I had been dropping Bobby off at the blind and then chumming with the road feeder. This time, the roles were reversed. Bobby had so many animals around him the morning he killed his that we put A LOT of corn on the ground. Only problem was that when Bobby ran the road feeder, he backed too far while running it and laid down a lot of corn on the road and the area between the road and where my shooting holes were. Guess what! He long beamed buck came in and started eating on the road. I can't see him unless I lean way over. Well, he usually stays for an hour or so. No problem. He fed and fed and finally got to the point where he was on my video cam, or at least his horns were. If he fed a little farther and his shoulder got to the point where his horns were, I'd shoot him. I got my bow ready and kept the camera going.

These pics are as far as he got. I wasn't taking a chance on leaning way to my left to shoot.

Name:  DSC00713.JPG
Views: 299
Size:  118.5 KB

Name:  DSC00717.JPG
Views: 312
Size:  87.2 KB

That evening, I hunted the same blind, but neither deer came in. I heard them roaring around me, but all I had were whitetails, small bucks, does and a couple sika. The Japanese buck came in as well as a Formosan or Drubowsy (Ignore the spelling. I have no idea how it's spelled) sika doe. They have spots in the summer and spring. They are also bigger. The Japanese sika kept biting the doe and there were several altercations.

Name:  DSC00720.JPG
Views: 305
Size:  133.9 KB

Name:  DSC00722.JPG
Views: 313
Size:  130.0 KB

Name:  DSC00724.JPG
Views: 307
Size:  125.8 KB

About that time, the buck I call Old Man, an over the hill buck, moved to my other shooting hole and got too close to the does. The long beam buck, saw him and headed over there. No problem. He'll just get shot in another hole. He ran the buck off, walked through the hole, turned around and walked back through the hole and proceeded back to the road where he had started. He fed toward the hole again, but never made it. He left and headed to the spring where he stays most of the day.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #125
W-L-F
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bee & Brewster County;Refugio

Doc gitter done
W-L-F is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2008, 08:29 PM   #126
tuthdoc
Ten Point

Here's some more pics from that last afternoon. No good bucks but a lot of axis. I had a couple crows/ravens come in for corn. I really felt like the Edgar Allen Poe thing might mean death was in the air. Not to be.

Name:  DSC00806.JPG
Views: 301
Size:  133.7 KB

The old man and several young bucks came in along with does and the only axis fawn I've seen. I even got one pic of three species of deer together.

Name:  DSC00807.JPG
Views: 300
Size:  134.7 KB

Name:  DSC00808.JPG
Views: 307
Size:  121.2 KB

Name:  DSC00809.JPG
Size:  116.7 KB

Name:  DSC00812.JPG
Views: 306
Size:  129.4 KB

Name:  DSC00813.JPG
Views: 293
Size:  122.6 KB

Name:  DSC00814.JPG
Views: 302
Size:  119.7 KB

Next and last morning found me once again in the stand above the spring. At just barely daylight, the long beam buck came in. He went right to my shooting hole and started eating. I had the bow up, release on the loop, and was waiting for enough light for me to see dots. I wanted to make sure I could see point of impact. I needed about 5 or so more minutes when a hog came in from behind, doing what a hog does best. Grunting and growling. Everything spooked for a minute then started settling back down, coming back in. All except the long beamed buck. He spooked to about 50 yards and then started rubbing his horns in the dirt, flipping rocks and stuff. He walked off a little and roared. Then, he wandered off to the spring. Basicly, that ended my hunt.

Here's a pic I captured. It was DARK!

Name:  DSC00815.JPG
Size:  65.9 KB

I've got a lot of TC pics that I put out to scout for me. Some are really promising. I'll resize and post. I guess there will be a axis quest...week 4. I have a Junco weekend this week, but will try to leave the Junco by noon Saturday and get to the ranch that afternoon. Then, the quest goes until death interrupts it. It's time to put one down.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #127
tuthdoc
Ten Point

Here are some TC's from a feeder that's not too far from where I hunted the tree. I'm about 99.9% sure this is the same buck that I saw from the tree. Bobby started out hunting this deer, but he's very irregular at the feeder. I have a spot picked out for a 360 where I think I can kill this rascal. I think we sucked him in on the road and he goes back and forth. I LIKE this one. I'll probably spend my afternoons hunting him after I get a blind up and hunt the spring blind during the mornings. Between the two at the spring blind and the blind I'll put up, I should have a good chance at one of these rascals.

With the shots I've heard around my hill blind, I'm loosing confidence that the bucks are still in the area. I'll probably check it out, because I really want one of those 8's, but I'm not feeling really confident right now in that area. Besides, this buck under the feeder is a hoss.

Name:  FBF buck.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  107.9 KB

Name:  FBF buck2.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  96.4 KB

Name:  FBF buck3.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  87.7 KB

Name:  FBF buck4.jpg
Size:  102.3 KB

Name:  FBF buck6jpg.jpg
Size:  110.9 KB

Name:  FBF buck7.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  107.9 KB

Name:  FBF buck8.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  108.4 KB

Name:  FBF buck9.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  109.2 KB
Old 06-18-2008, 09:40 PM   #128
HillCountryBowHunter
Six Point

Tuthdoc, what was the spotted animal that was in the picture with the Sika? We have a few at our ranch and we can't figure out what they are....
HillCountryBowHunter is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2008, 09:47 PM   #129
AggieHunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wharton, Colorado, Lavaca Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryBowHunter View Post
Tuthdoc, what was the spotted animal that was in the picture with the Sika?
Its a sika also... Just from a different area
AggieHunter is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2008, 09:53 PM   #130
tuthdoc
Ten Point

The dark one is a Japanese sika. The other one is also a sika. It's one of the big sika species. It differs from the axis in its rump. Here's a rump pic. It's a doe and she's bigger than the Japanese sika buck.

Name:  DSC00721.JPG
Views: 281
Size:  128.6 KB

Here's a couple Japanese sika that are going to be pretty good. Got them on a TC while scouting for axis.

Name:  sika buck.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  58.7 KB

Name:  sika buck 3.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  sika buck 3.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  sika buck 4.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  48.9 KB

Name:  sika 5.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  53.4 KB
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2008, 10:23 PM   #131
happy bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: mason county

Heck of a hunt John,thanks for taking us along
happy bowhunter is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2008, 10:26 PM   #132
tuthdoc
Ten Point

James told me about a big deer that he saw while heading to and from our spring blind. We had been pouring the corn to the main roads and had sucked in a lot of deer. I placed a camera on a small tree looking toward the road and started corning in front of it. I also placed the chaffehay. The deer were on it immediately. I got a lot of pics here. Some nice bucks. We put up a blind and Bobby hunted it a couple times to scout for me. There's one long beamed buck with short cottles. I'll post the pics in two posts.

Name:  rc16.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  rc15.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  67.1 KB

Name:  rc14.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  87.0 KB

Name:  rc13.jpg
Size:  83.4 KB

Name:  rc12.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  82.1 KB

Name:  rc11.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  85.8 KB

Name:  rc10.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  85.8 KB

Name:  rc9.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  85.1 KB
Old 06-18-2008, 10:31 PM   #133
tuthdoc
Ten Point

The rest of the pics from that camera. Mark, if any of those deer interest you, that blind is just off the road on the way to our spring blind. Mitch should be able to find it. Just out of the first wash after the metal gate. Don't hunt it in the morning. East facing sun will kill you. We have been corning just under the edge limbs of the big live oak to the NE (about 20 yards), to the left of the camera tree and right by it to the east, and off to the south across the road. If you're concerned with wind, then that's the way to corn. The date if off, but the time is correct. The deer got on this spot quickly and are there every evening.

Of course, Mitch's spot is better. LOL

Name:  rc8.jpg
Size:  89.8 KB

Name:  rc7.jpg
Size:  88.3 KB

Name:  rc6.jpg
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  rc5.jpg
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  rc4.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  53.9 KB

Name:  rc3.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  50.1 KB

Name:  rc2.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  50.4 KB

Name:  rc1.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  51.8 KB
Old 06-18-2008, 11:08 PM   #134
JimN
Ten Point

will it ever end??? Only Doc knows
JimN is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2008, 08:13 PM   #135
tuthdoc
Ten Point

Oh, it'll end. Question is, will I get one before it ends.

I'm leaving in the morning for the Junco. I plan on hitting three ranches in 11 days or less. Feeders, hunt, feeders. My three targets are the long beam that I passed first, the five/deuce, or the tree stand buck. I'll be set up in two blinds. Morning at the spring blind and afternoons at the blind I'm putting up saturday afternoon. In my available time, one of those three should give me a shot. However, if another good one comes in, I won't hesitate. Broadside or SLIGHTLY quartering, 20 or closer and I'll send a rage on its way.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:18 PM   #136
Stupid
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mexico

Dang - I sure wish I could have got in on this deal...so sad! Good Luck Doc!
Stupid is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2008, 09:00 PM   #137
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilco

go get em DOC!
txtimetravler is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2008, 10:15 PM   #138
dwright8
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comfort, Rocksprings

thanks for sharin got some dang good axis
dwright8 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2008, 10:33 PM   #139
mesquitecountry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Only Public Land :)

Good Luck! I really hope this story ends with a biggen on the ground!
mesquitecountry is offline   Back To The Top