No announcement yet.

Favorite 223 Ammo for Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a 50 round box of 55gr soft point Hornady ammo, but haven't shot it, yet. Soon, hopefully.

Comment

I was wondering the same thing on ammo to use. Thanks for all the suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
        I bought a 50 round box of 55gr soft point Hornady ammo, but haven't shot it, yet. Soon, hopefully.
        Those shoot great in my gun

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
          Originally posted by TxAg View Post
          Those shoot great in my gun
          X2. That's all I shoot in my .223 AR. They are cheap, perform well, and shoot Sub-MOA in my rifle. This round has killed a ton of pigs and coyotes for me.

Comment

i have a shat ton of XM855. kills em dead. lol

Comment

Remington loaded with the 62 Great Barns TSX

Comment

I like the Hornady 75 BTHP... I know they aren’t supposedly for hunting, but everything I shoot with them dies quickly, if they don’t fold. Also, they actually have blood trails if they don’t drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Federal Fusion in both of my .223... 62 grains. One is a an AR and the other is a Remington Model Seven... They both like the same ammo and shoot really really well... Oh and all neck shots and behind the ear for pigs. NO running at all

Comment

deer white patch on the throat. Hogs right behind the ear

Comment

My daughter is shooting 72gr ( I think... maybe 75) hornady BTHP. They shoot like $&&% at 100 but at 50 which is her max it will shoot under 1” Killed a 200# boar DEAD so I trust it with a deer.

62 federal fusion have filled a many a dump trailer for me.

Heck I’ve killed close to 200 hogs with America eagle fmj

Comment

You guys using the 62 gr. Fusion - do you use the regular ammo, or the "MSR" version?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
                          You guys using the 62 gr. Fusion - do you use the regular ammo, or the "MSR" version?
                          Both. I can’t shoot the difference

It’s my go to in tournaments it will anchor a hog with a good shot and still cheap enough I can bat clean up if needed

Comment

I’m not endorsing this because I know there are better bullets available but these are my only two experiences with .223 and whitetail. Both were with a 55 gr Nosler Varmint bullet.

I killed my first doe with this round 7 years ago. It was a large doe. Shot was around 80 yards and I hit her in the lung. It was a perfect broadside shot. I say lung simply because it didn’t penetrate the second one. But it blew up the first lung and ran about 30 yards.

Second encounter was my girlfriend using this same round. She shot one and it also left no exit hole. The deer ran 60 yards at the most before it was down. It was also a lung shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X