Bunch of guys playing Keep-Away on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bunch of guys playing Keep-Away on TV

Sorry, I just don’t get soccer...it was great when my son was 5-7 yrs old...all he had to do was run around chasing and kicking the ball, no real understanding of the game or other skill needed.
    Now watching for a few mins at lunch, the guys on TV are kicking it back and forth side to side across the field, nothing much happening...SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING!!!

And some people say baseball is boring...

That game would be great if the audience got to participate with pellet rifles.

Comment

you either like it or hate it. i like it aside from the flops that can be quite funny. Some of the guys out on the pitch are pretty dang talented.

Comment

I don't like it either, but a lot of people obviously do or it would not be so popular. So I just don't watch it, pretty simple solution. But it does not cause me any concern that a lot of people do watch it. Not even sure why I wasted 60 seconds typing this....lol

Comment

Comment

I can not stand watching it, except the world cup. Heck, I played all my life, on the top select soccer team in the U.S. and on the Olympic Development Team. I have never really liked watching it, which is weird. People in the U.S. are far behind on soccer. It will never be to the level it is in other countries.

Comment

Love the game. I hated hockey until I understood the rules/strategy. Roomed with a dude from jersey in college and now I enjoy watching it more than I do the prima donnas in the NBA

The flops do bother me … but no more than they do in the NBA/NFL

EDIT to add that I never played soccer growing up or even in HS. Played Baseball in HS and College.
              Last edited by BlackHogDown; 06-29-2018, 01:44 PM.

Comment

If I wanted to watch someone struggle to score for 3 hours I would take my buddy to the bar.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
                  I can not stand watching it, except the world cup. Heck, I played all my life, on the top select soccer team in the U.S. and on the Olympic Development Team. I have never really liked watching it, which is weird. People in the U.S. are far behind on soccer. It will never be to the level it is in other countries.
                  Played all my life and still play at 46. I love to play the game, but I can't stand to watch it at the professional level. Too many drama queens trying to get a call. That's also a long time to sit there for a score that may end up being 1 - 0.

Watching baseball for me is like watching paint dry. So I guess I must not get baseball.

Comment

Like with most sports you pretty much have to grow up with it to appreciate it. Do you think there is any way any of us would be a baseball fan if we had never seen or played it until we were adults? A couple years ago I was at a Ranger game and there was a guy in front of me that had two guys from Germany with him. They were totally unfamiliar with the sport and were incredibly confused. It was amusing to hear the guy try and explain what was going on and why the crowd would cheer for seemingly no reason. That is me watching soccer - those fans are seeing nuances that they only understand because they grew up with it. I love a pitcher's duel that ends up 1-0 because after over 50 years of being a fan, I appreciate the minutia. I suppose that's how a lifelong soccer fan can call a 0-0 draw a great game.

Comment

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
                      If I wanted to watch someone struggle to score for 3 hours I would take my buddy to the bar.
                      Hahaha!

Comment

Baseball is booooooooring. Basketball is as well until the last 3 minutes of the game. Football is too slow. Too much stopping, not enough playing. Soccer is a fluid game. It takes patience to break down the other teams defense. As a die hard soccer fan, there are games that are very boring, but there are games that keep you on the edge of your seat more than not. The problem is that these guys generally make things look simple and easy. One guy kicks a ball 70 yards diagonally down the field to another guy who is sprinting full speed. The receiving guy "catches" the ball with his feet at full speed and continues on. That may or may not result in a scoring chance. Either way the average American doesn't understand the degree of difficulty. If he had taken the easy route and used his hands to throw and catch a 70 yard pass they would be in AWE, but doing it with their feet......eh, he didn't score SMH . Those are the little nuances Jerp was talking about.

People refer to 0-0 score lines in soccer a lot, but so far this World Cup there have been about 48 games and only 1 game ended 0-0. We are now in the knock out rounds so there will be a winner every game here on out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
                          by the way. one advantage soccer has over other sports. Unless there is Over Time, you can count on it being over in 2 hours.

Not to take an hour away from your buddy but the clock is ticking, no commercial breaks. He better get to work fast

Comment

They need to make the field smaller. Everything is so spread out it makes the game seem slow to me. I have never liked soccer because it seems like a participation sport. Parents who don't have athletic kids can let them play soccer and just run around in circles and can say their kids play sports. That's why I love the game of baseball/softball so much. It is you at the plate or out in the field with everyone watching you. If you get a hit or make a great play, it's all on you. If you fail, you learn to deal with that failure.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdShot View Post
                              Sorry, I just don’t get soccer...it was great when my son was 5-7 yrs old...all he had to do was run around chasing and kicking the ball, no real understanding of the game or other skill needed.
                              Now watching for a few mins at lunch, the guys on TV are kicking it back and forth side to side across the field, nothing much happening...SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING!!!

And some people say baseball is boring...
                              Isn't that what most sports do? Keep away. Basketball, don't give it to the other team unless you score. Hockey, keep it away from the other team unless you score. Football, keep the ball until you score....

Seems like that is the main objective to most sports. Keep the ball until you score, then try to win it back and keep it away from them again until you score.

And baseball IS boring

Comment

Working...
                              X