Another DNA test results from AncestryDNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
    Which DNA tests have you done? I know they all offer different things. I've debated doing one, but don't know which is best. I'd like to find out what Native tribes I have in me.. Best of luck in your search!!

Family Tree DNA was the first company

Y-DNA paternal side
    Family finder Maternal side

AncestryDNA Seems to be maternal side test only.

All of these test don't mean jack if you do not have other family members in the system (Que the tin fool hat people). It's just an expensive test to see you ancestry.

I thought about doing another Y-DNA test, but again my biological dad, uncle, and grandfather would need to be in the system.

Comment

I did all three of the major ones - 23andMe, Ancestry, and Family Tree DNA. Ancestry is by far the best because the database is so large compared to the others. My kids wanted to do it so I got them Ancestry kits for christmas this year, I think I paid $45 each test on Ebay. It's $89 or so from the company, so prices have come down some.

For what it's worth, 23andMe is the worst one. Small database and the "Health" crap they give you is junk. Ancestry has some pretty good tools now for building a family tree too if you're willing to part with $20 a month to access it. I spent several months building my tree and can go back to the Mayflower on one line, and a prison ship arrival on another Pretty interesting stuff.

Also - if your family tells you that "you got indian in you" they're probably full of ****. Apparently everyone thinks that, and almost no one actually has the native american blood or it's so far back that it's not passed to you. VERY common lie.

Comment

Originally posted by DSMCasey View Post
        I did all three of the major ones - 23andMe, Ancestry, and Family Tree DNA. Ancestry is by far the best because the database is so large compared to the others. My kids wanted to do it so I got them Ancestry kits for christmas this year, I think I paid $45 each test on Ebay. It's $89 or so from the company, so prices have come down some.

For what it's worth, 23andMe is the worst one. Small database and the "Health" crap they give you is junk. Ancestry has some pretty good tools now for building a family tree too if you're willing to part with $20 a month to access it. I spent several months building my tree and can go back to the Mayflower on one line, and a prison ship arrival on another Pretty interesting stuff.

Also - if your family tells you that "you got indian in you" they're probably full of ****. Apparently everyone thinks that, and almost no one actually has the native american blood or it's so far back that it's not passed to you. VERY common lie.
        Spot on about the Native American part. I won't be paying the 20 a month access fee that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by 2050z View Post
          Spot on about the Native American part. I won't be paying the 20 a month access fee that's for sure.
          What about those of us that are on Tribal Rolls? (Typed in sarcasm font)

Has anyone used any of these without submitting DNA? I’ve been wanting to track my Grandfather’s family, I’ve got a couple of names from some old letters but that’s about it.
          Last edited by ThePumaLives; 02-01-2018, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePumaLives View Post
            What about those of us that are on Tribal Rolls?

Has anyone used any of these without submitting DNA? I’ve been wanting to track my Grandfather’s family, I’ve got a couple of names from some old letters but that’s about it.

Y dna test kits for you and your dad is a must. I cannot speak for the tribal stuff. If you are in the registry then you are part of the tribe right?

Comment

Y dna test kits for you and your dad is a must. I cannot speak for the tribal stuff. If you are in the registry then you are part of the tribe right?
              Yes, I was being sarcastic about the tribes; although it is my personal belief that there is no Indian blood in my line we have been on the rolls for generations. I’ll see if I can talk him into submitting some DNA; no one really knows anything about that side of the family other than my great grandfather did some prison time for knocking off a train up in Illinois.

Good luck in your search, my sister adopted her son after he was abandoned shortly after birth in a dumpster; the mother ended up tracking my sister down a few years later and wrote a long letter to be given to my nephew if he wants to know about her. It’s her story about what she was going through and explains her thought process at the time. I figure it will help put his mind to ease when the the day comes that he wants to know about his other family.

Comment

Cool! I found my bio dad in August.....and found the devorce papers and adoption papers....how I became a Smith

Comment

Have an adopted friend. He found his birth parents thru a tricky detective. His adopted parents have passed away.
                  He has done well for himself and was pleased to learn so had his birth family kin. They welcomed him as one of them.
                  Now he has a really big family that he is friends with and knows his birth parents medical history.

Good luck OP.

BP

Comment

Got an e-mail yesterday that ancestry DNA is 30% off right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you really want you DNA mapped, you won’t get that from outfits like ancestry.com, or 23and me. Those are basic bottom line genetic tests, that are interpreted by people that pick and chose the regions. As an example, 3 siblings can use the same company. 3 different techs run the results. Some seem to indicate a link to west African regions, while another Might seem to be Mediterranean, and the difference is determined by the guy compiling your data. I had 3 first cousins do this, all siblings. The results were vastly off. If you want it done correctly, you are going to pay for it. But it will be more accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePumaLives View Post
                        What about those of us that are on Tribal Rolls? (Typed in sarcasm font)

I'm on the Choctaw Row myself! Ours will end after two more generations!
                        Ernie

Comment

I bet these tests can open up a lot of wounds. Good luck to anyone trying to find their family. I’d advise anyone to go about it the right way when contacting people.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
                            I bet these tests can open up a lot of wounds. Good luck to anyone trying to find their family. I’d advise anyone to go about it the right way when contacting people.

And what is the right way???

Comment

Native American?
                              If you read the reviews of the various DNA tests you'll see many complaints by people claiming the test results didn't show any Native American DNA.
                              As mentioned earlier, family campfire stories passed down the generations simply aren't true.
                              Due to some pretty wild stories from members of my mother's family, I did the Ancestry test and it returned zero Native American DNA. When I announced my results it set off a war between myself and the die hard myth believers.
                              Otherwise, Ancestry linked up about 100 people I was truly related to. Interesting, but genealogy really isn't my cup of tea.
                              I'd recommend Ancestry.

Comment

And what is the right way???
                                I knew someone who was looking for their father. Instead of contacting the father she contacted his ex wife. Sending letters saying how she could of changed her life of her mom seeked her dad out etc. it was really tacky because her father was divorced from the lady and was clueless he had a illegitimate child. I think sending threatening letters and how you’re going to expose the man to his legitimate kids is wrong. I just think in situations people need to cautious how you go about things.

Comment

Working...
                                X