Interesting podcast on American Community and its organizational effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting podcast on American Community and its organizational effects

I can't really summarize all of this, but this guy used to work in Washington and began to analyze the breakdown of DC and how it correlates to the breakdown of the American concept of neighborhood. Pretty interesting, and a decent explanation to the question of how our culture is and has changed.

Listen for a better 'splanation

Today on the podcast Marc Dunkelman and I discuss the history of American social organization, why it's changing, and what effects that change is having on institutions.

I think a lot of it is years ago you couldn't make it without neighbors and families all pitching in. Now I can buy what I need and hire someone to get things done. If we were all out on the farm not too many years back you couldn't survive without a community.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
      I think a lot of it is years ago you couldn't make it without neighbors and families all pitching in. Now I can buy what I need and hire someone to get things done. If we were all out on the farm not too many years back you couldn't survive without a community.
      That's it sort of, but less to do with commerce. You are spot on about needing neighbors for survival. Because we have the ability to connect with people based solely on specific interest ( i.e. Bowhunting) we have sacrificed the desire to connect more personally with our immediate neighbors. Consequently, because those relationships were necessary, we were more understanding of various convictions or beliefs, and were able to better understand various perspectives. Now we isolate ourselves in various networks based strictly on commonality

Comment

Working...
      X