Deer follow??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer follow??

So in your opinion would you set up a blind/stand above a creek edge north or south, east or west? Or would you find along the wood line? I'm hunting a totally new area this year and Have tree line that lead to fields of food source and in the middle of the woods ravines with creeks in the bottoms? Been out scouting and haven't seen any sign either places yet?

I like to set up in the area with most visibility. Fields edges etc.
    typical problem with field edges is that they can't be hunted in the morning or you will spook deer.
    If you have a spot that split the difference between the fields and the creek bottom that could be the ticket and a natural funnel.
    Creek bottoms are notoriously bad for shifty winds.

My thoughts. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you, I was thinking about the winds. I'm considering using a ground blind this year. So might try some place between field and creek/ravine. How do I tell which water source they like the best? There are about 4 different ponds they could use.

Comment

Originally posted by HdFilmmaker View Post
        So in your opinion would you set up a blind/stand above a creek edge north or south, east or west? Or would you find along the wood line? I'm hunting a totally new area this year and Have tree line that lead to fields of food source and in the middle of the woods ravines with creeks in the bottoms? Been out scouting and haven't seen any sign either places yet?
        Get on google maps or google earth and zoom in to the property. You can zoom in close enough to see game trails. that can help you find travel routes on the property. I have used this a LOT. Find main travel routes between bedding food and water and ground check them then set up for predominant winds.

Comment

You need to see signs of deer. The best spot in the world is useless if there's no deer there. As far as water sources, same thing, walk the perimeter and look for tracks. No tracks, no deer. Hunt the sign, not the spot. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X