No announcement yet.

Devil's River SNA Del Norte Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish you all the luck Shane. I never could get much info on Devil's River so I never put in for it. Sounds like it's a pretty cool place to hunt. Maybe I should have been putting in there.
    I'm going to steal your thread idea and try to get some info on Palo Duro Canyon.

Comment

Not to many axis in the park. Most of them stay around the headquarters. Lots of aoudad and Corsican running around. I killed a 32" aoudad a couple of years back. The bunkhouse is the way to go. Not very good phone service down by the bunkhouse but fine up on the top of the hills. My group shot 9 aoudad and 10 Corsican on our hunt. Bring lots of ammo! If you have anymore questions just ask. The river is very clear. It's a pretty place to hunt. Good luck on your hunt!

Comment

I've been trying to draw this hunt also, but no luck just 12 pref points now! Haha. I just went to the SNA in April just to see it since I'd never actually been there before.

A buddy and I setup camp in one of the numbered camp sites with a tent. The camp sites are sparse, with no shade to be had. Also there are no open flames allowed in the SNA which includes cook fires. We used butane burners for our cooking. Also, no trash cans so you pack out what you pack in.

It is possibly the most remote, rugged area that I've ever hiked across in TX. Walking in straight lines just doesn't happen. If I were hunting it, I'd get up high onto the ridges before daylight and be ready to glass as the sun comes up.

Like others have said, not much out there as far as axis go. The park rangers I spoke to made it sound like they see a random one every once in a while.

Jake

Comment

Thanks for the info, y'all. Anybody else?

Comment

It was TOUGH hunting when we got there. That is all I got.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
              It was TOUGH hunting when we got there. That is all I got.
              You mean tough as in terrain or lack of animals?

Shane, my group got drawn for the first weekend in January so I'll report back after our hunt. I've gotten a lot of good info from squiggy via PM and reading through old posts on here.

Comment

Thanks, Chris. And good luck on your hunt! Kill a big un!

Comment

That's awesome!!

Comment

I'll never forget canoeing the devils. We drank the water straight from the river.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                      I'll never forget canoeing the devils. We drank the water straight from the river.
                      Paddling the Devils is awesome. Going for my second time in October. We'll actually be launching from the SNA this time instead of Bakers so maybe I can do some scouting then.

Comment

I went with Russell Graves a few years back. That's one cool river.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAdmRwgs0S8"]Hunt Junkies Episode 3.2 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                          Paddling the Devils is awesome. Going for my second time in October. We'll actually be launching from the SNA this time instead of Bakers so maybe I can do some scouting then.

Sending you PM

Comment

I was also selected this year for the first weekend in January and will be going solo. I have already learned a lot from reading through the forums but wanted to drop a line and see if y'all have any additional info to provide. I plan on hitting it hard and covering as much ground as I can so I will send some info after the hunt. Thanks guys!

Comment

I can only second what most others have said. We got drawn to hunt Devils River back in Jan 2011. We missed a spot in the on-site bunkhouse so we ended up staying in Del Rio and making the drive back and forth each day. It is a long drive so my suggestion is do your best to get a spot to stay there.
                              The ranger split up the compartments based on different criteria - asked if anyone had any issues or restraints and also who had a 4x4 vehicle. Some of the roads way back in are steep and they take every precaution to not have them torn up with vehicles trying to make it up. He also takes a mental note of who he thinks can handle what. He selected my group for most rugged compartment but it was also the best one according to him.
                              First day we didn't have much luck but the second we got up on a ridge and glassed. Saw a ton of Aoudad but no axis. Park ranger said they see an axis every once in a while. I ended up with a 24ish" Ewe and my buddy came away with a 34" ram. As others have said - there is no limit. We saw herds of them (30+) roaming ridges. Pretty amazing. Very rough terrain so be ready for it. We would drive out, park and start walking. It felt like we walked miles and miles, up ridges and back down. Would head back just before dark and head back to town. It was one of my favorite hunts. Congrats on getting drawn and good luck! PM me with any questions and I'll try my best to help out.

Comment

I can not believe I was drawn

hello,
                                I was drawn for the first hunt. I really wasn't expecting that since I only had 2 pref points. I was basically just trying to save up pref points to eventually get drawn. I don't have a 4 by 4 just a standard pick up truck with off road tires. Is it still a possibility to hunt? I was going to get me a new 4 by 4 next year since I wrecked my Jeep recently. If not if someone would be interested in hunting with me who also got drawn let me know. I would gladly help another hunter that is on their own with all the packing and cleaning duty of their kill and I enjoy hunting with new folks. I appreciate any advice on this and thank everyone very much.

Comment

Working...
                                X