Duty caliber question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duty caliber question

I know that this is going to start a big debate but that is not what I am looking for. I am a Patrol Sgt with an East Texas Sheriff's Office. I have been in Law Enforcement for 20 years. I know what the FBI says about calibers but I am wanting to know what other Peace Officers think about what is the best caliber to carry on duty. Throughout my career I have carried a .40, .357 Sig, .41 magnum, and am currently carrying .45 ACP. What do you believe is the best duty caliber and why?

i have carried a 357 sig all of my career util my department issued us glock 17's a little over a year ago.

Comment

Is that a 9mm?

Comment

Originally posted by big papa View Post
        Is that a 9mm?
        Yes

Comment

How do you like it?

Comment

I’ve carried 45,40, and now 9mm. With today’s bullet technology I prefer the 9mm.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
              I’ve carried 45,40, and now 9mm. With today’s bullet technology I prefer the 9mm.
              I agree with this. I still carry a .45 on duty and a glock 19 9mm off duty.

Comment

Carry a Sig 45. I carry a Sig 40 off duty. I prefer the 40 over the 45.

45 is a large, slow round. We shot the 40, 45 and 9mm into cars, windows, winshields etc. 40 was the way to go. Our department is transitioning to the 40 right now.

Feds are going back to the 9mm. I am not a fan. But thats me. But you can usually fill about 65 rounds in one mag. You may need it.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                  Same here. Glock 19 on duty and off, unless I'm wearing super light clothes like running or the gym then it's a S&W Shield in 9mm.

Comment

I have carried 40 for all of my 18 years thus far. I recently bought a 9mm conversion barrel for my glock 22. Once I get to run it and the mags I'll probably swap over. As mentioned, todays bullets in the 9 are just as effective. That and lighter recoil would allow faster follow ups.

That said, I see A LOT of bullet wounds and not in some ballistic gel or pigs etc. In the last few years I have been severely disappointed in the mighty 45 acp.

Comment

I carried 357 Magnum, .45 ACP, and 357 Sig. The Sig 357 is my current duty caliber in the P226. The weapon fits my hand very well and it's very accurate.

I do carry a M&P Shield in .45 when off duty. I'm looking into the Sig 320, FN 509 and the CZ P10 in 9MM as well.

Comment

I am not nor have I ever been a LEO. I have on occasion worked with them as part of my job. I carried a 40. While with the chief deputy of a local county we were discussing what caliber he chose ( had a beautiful colt ). He said he once had to shoot a suspect several times with his 45 acp and the guy just kept coming. He said that he switched to a 38 super and never had a problem since. I had no reason to doubt him.

Comment

Been in it for over 30 yrs, and I've carried several types of firearms from 357 magnums, 9mm, 40 and 45. They were all types of manufacturers also from Colt revolvers, Smith & Wesson autos and revolvers, Kimber, Glock's, and Beretta's. I currently carry a Glock 19 9mm. Being the firearms instructor at my agency for over 20 of those years, I've seen the trend go from revolvers to autos and from 357's to 9mm's and then 40's, along with the 45's off and on. With bullet technologies the current trend has shifted back towards the 9mm for duty and training due to cost factors(cheaper to shoot and practice with).

Comment

9 or 40

Comment

9mm vs .40 Cal vs .45 ACP... Cinder Block Test
                              watch this on youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X