Chaparral Gun Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
    A couple of the small ones were killed the last evening or the last morning of the hunt. Had I not taken a good buck early I can't promise I would've passed on an average buck late, considering I needed the meat and I haven't shot many bucks. That being said, there are hunters of all kinds that get drawn. A couple of the smaller ones were taken by guys who were just happy to be there, not serious hunters, and they were thrilled with their 110 inch deer. Another one was a mistake, and the guy got lucky that it was just legal. Then there were some hunters who passed up good bucks all week waiting for a giant that never appeared. I certainly understand where you're coming from, though. I considered passing mine up because it was literally an hour and 15 minutes into the hunt when he walked out, but hunting east Texas low fence means that I could go years between getting a shot at a 130-inch buck, so I guess you could say he met my expectations
    Congrats on your buck, not saying anyone should not be happy with their deer. Just saying that personally if I ever get the rifle draw I'm shooting for the moon! Now on the archery hunts I've been on there I'd take a 130's deer all day long.

Comment

I completely understand. That being said, out of 30 or so hunters, only 7 bucks over 130 (gross) were taken, and only one of those was over 140 (the baldy buck). We were there at the perfect time, and the bucks were moving all over the place. I only heard of three big bucks being seen (other than the baldy buck). even after having watched an approx 145-inch 10-point for an hour 2 days after I shot my buck, I don't know that I would wait for a giant if I got to go back, although I certainly had some buyer's remorse at the time. if I was hunting somewhere that I could shoot a 130-inch or better deer most years, or if I had a bunch of deer up on the wall, i could see waiting for a monster, though.

Comment

I do luv the CHAP!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X