Nasty Weather Fare....Big ol' Pot of Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nasty Weather Fare....Big ol' Pot of Beans

I am betting the nasty weather will be here this afternoon and nothing beats a big pot of ham and beans on a cold, rainy day. My recipe is simple:

• One small bone-in picnic/shoulder ham (I usually grab on one of those Cooks brand 4 or 5 pounders)
    • 1 pound bag of beans (navy, great northern, pinto...whatever)
    • Couple of onions, chopped
    • Pepper and garlic powder to taste (salt will probably NOT be needed because of the salt in the ham, but taste check near serving time)
    • Optional: grated carrots and or slivered/sliced jalapenos, etc.

Cut the ham into large chunks (leave the fat on for now). Toss the ham, ham bones, and beans into a soup pot. Cover with a couple of inches of water (I sometimes add a couple of cans of chicken stock) and start simmering. Stir from time to time and add water as needed. After a couple of hours, remove the fat and bones and discard (my dogs love bean soup day too). About 30 minutes to an hour before eating, add the onions and optional carrots/jalapenos. After about 3 hours or so, the beans start to break down and thicken the soup. When that happens, it is time to eat! Ladle some beans and a couple of big hunks of ham into a bowl with some warm crusty bread on the side. Like chili, the leftovers are even better then next day.
Working...
X