Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
    Ha!

IMO those who try and scam people into something they don't really need is no different than I'm sending you 10,000 check, cash it and keep 2k for your troubles.
    Right there with ya...mom was here and I was at work. They were dealing with me over the phone. They tried to sell it to mom and she called me, while telling them that she didn't think I would go for it. Clearly, mom knows me well

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy moss View Post
      Tell them to remove all of the 22 then go back 407 or 438a nu22 just have them change Schrader cores on all access ports because of different refrigerants oil will react with the old 22 oil and will make old gasket leak ! They will all work but I would go with 407!

Each one of these refrigerants will replace R-22. Also each one will cost some system capacity. Problem we have in Texas is most systems don't have any capacity to give up.

Unfortunately in our business there are companies that push equipment sales and don't want to fix anything. Its a business model that I don't agree with. The fact is, if you have an R-22 system, you should be budgeting money to replace it because it is only going to get worse. Change your equipment out in January or February, when a/c companys are not so busy, and shop for the best deal. Get the most efficient system you can afford.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
        Each one of these refrigerants will replace R-22. Also each one will cost some system capacity. Problem we have in Texas is most systems don't have any capacity to give up.

Unfortunately in our business there are companies that push equipment sales and don't want to fix anything. Its a business model that I don't agree with. The fact is, if you have an R-22 system, you should be budgeting money to replace it because it is only going to get worse. Change your equipment out in January or February, when a/c companys are not so busy, and shop for the best deal. Get the most efficient system you can afford.
        excellent advice, this guy knows what is what

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post

They are 8 ton.

you have more than one 8 ton? how big of a mansion do you live in? 2, 8ton units would cool an 8000 sq ft home.

Comment

The problem is most people don’t budget for home improvements they just know there a/c not cooling most people just can’t take out out $500 to put a dab of refrigerant in system those are refrigerant to get you by for cheap ! Until you BUDGET around $5000 to $7000 or more according to seer rating and all the bell and whistles

Comment

I was told by someone to buy the r22 on eBay.. looked it up, and sure enough it's cheaper. 30lbs for $450 free shipping, $15/lb. ridiculous they are charging 75+.

Comment

it’s cheaper to buy on eBay !! All you need now is a set of $120 refrigerant guages and know the suction and discharge pressure of that particular unit and also the superheat and subcooling of unit! These are things good techs will do or you will be changing a $1200 compressor that went bad because of to much eBay refrigerant in system !!!! Remember more is better right!

Comment

Originally posted by bowtecmike View Post
                  you have more than one 8 ton? how big of a mansion do you live in? 2, 8ton units would cool an 8000 sq ft home.
                  Typed that incorrectly. 2 - 4 ton. But now that brings me to a different question on what they did...I have to research more!

Comment

The guy was telling me last week I should start trying to replace my units. I have 4 of them. That gave my wife another $20,000 reason to move.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy moss View Post
                      it’s cheaper to buy on eBay !! All you need now is a set of $120 refrigerant guages and know the suction and discharge pressure of that particular unit and also the superheat and subcooling of unit! These are things good techs will do or you will be changing a $1200 compressor that went bad because of to much eBay refrigerant in system !!!! Remember more is better right!
                      I didn't say to install it... seems reasonable that I could buy my own refridgerant and have an hvac pro charge it.. I'm just saying if the product is available for 15lb, what's the charge for?

Comment

Most of these companies will not install parts or equipment you supply. And before everybody gets riled up about this, I will tell you having been in this business all my life, they cannot survive as a company on labor alone. The last contractor I worked for had a labor cost of $60 an hour. This was for mid level techs. It was also 10 years ago. The flat rate pricing scheme that uncle saggy mentioned earlier is what most companies use to insure profitability. The auto mechanics have been using it for years.

The bad eggs are the companies that pay their techs on commission. Temptation to sell parts and systems not needed driven by greed. If these guy don't sell, they don't stay employed. I let my customers know their systems are becoming outdated, but would never not make a simple repair to get one running, and try to force them to replace it. I let economics drive their decisions, and give them options. Maybe that's why I'm not rich, but I have no trouble sleeping at night, and at my age sometimes in the afternoon.

Comment

They sell a couple pounds for what the tech pays for an entire bottle at the supply house.

Comment

Mary keep this guys number in your phone

Donald Downing 8324629960

A\C man Houston.

He is a friend of mine and actually replaced the unit at my old house and fully checked out the AC when we moved a couple years ago.

Tell him you know me, if you ever need AC help again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                              Mary keep this guys number in your phone

Donald Downing 8324629960

A\C man Houston.

He is a friend of mine and actually replaced the unit at my old house and fully checked out the AC when we moved a couple years ago.

Tell him you know me, if you ever need AC help again.
                              Have to admit you know Justin to get a better deal or keep quiet and pay a little more....I'm not sure which would be worse!

Kidding... totally kidding!

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
                                Have to admit you know Justin to get a better deal or keep quiet and pay a little more....I'm not sure which would be worse!

Kidding... totally kidding!

Just trying to help the new girl in town out a little.

I don’t want our sweet Mary getting taken advantage of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X