Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good info

Comment

Cook your bacon in the oven on a cookie sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up and you'll never cook it any other way. Put the bacon in a cold oven before turning it on and you won't get any splatter.

Comment

Old thread… made my first few rounds of bacon via EQ method (after seeing this thread) and came out great. I’ve got some great pure maple syrup and would like to incorporate it into the next batch. Think I should just swap the syrup for sugar? Got any idea as to proportions?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Jason85 View Post
          My recipe uses the EQ (equilibrium) curing method. The good thing about this method is don't have to worry about making any of your product to salty. The bacis idea is to use 2.5-3% salt by weight of the meat your curing.

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
          I’ve got some great pure maple syrup and would like to incorporate it into the next batch. Think I should just swap the syrup for sugar? Got any idea as to proportions?
          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
            Old thread… made my first few rounds of bacon via EQ method (after seeing this thread) and came out great. I’ve got some great pure maple syrup and would like to incorporate it into the next batch. Think I should just swap the syrup for sugar? Got any idea as to proportions?

Thanks

When I do mine I don’t use sugar . Just the maple syrup. About a cup per 5 lbs per belly .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
              When I do mine I don’t use sugar . Just the maple syrup. About a cup per 5 lbs per belly .
              Wow a whole cup? I only used 11.33g (1%) sugar for my 2.5 lb belly last time. Not saying you're wrong just curious if we're utilizing same method. Don't want it to be too sweet.

Thanks for the insight btw
              Attached Files
              Last edited by BlackHogDown; 04-12-2022, 07:53 AM.

Comment

I use the recipe from AmazingRibs.com website. You just put in the weight of the pork belly and it will figure the amount on ingredients for that specific weight. I use the recipe that uses brown sugar instead of maple syrup.

You seriously need to make this bacon. It's not hard. And it is so worth it. It's one of those processes that mostly just takes time. And for your patience you are rewarded with some the most delicious, homemade smoky bacon you'll ever taste.

Homemade bacon is easy and the results are much better than grocery store smoked bacon. You can make countless variations once you have the basic homemade smoked bacon recipe down.

Ingredients

Adjusting Curing Ingredients
                Enter the weight of the pork belly here:
                pounds
                kilograms
                Enter the thickness of the pork belly here:
                inches
                centimeters
                The quantities on the following ingredients will be calculated based on what you entered above.

1.25 cups warm distilled water.

0.9 teaspoons or 5.13 grams of Prague powder #1

5.00 tablespoons dark brown sugar

7.50 teaspoons Morton’s kosher salt

7.50 teaspoons ground black pepper

0.83 cup dark maple syrup

Comment

What kind of slicer are yall using?

Comment

Originally posted by Goliad Blue View Post
                    If you look on market place or craigslist you can find a quality used slicer. I was able to find a 12in Berkel for $100 on CL.

Comment

Originally posted by Goliad Blue View Post

I bought this one 4 years ago. (It wasn’t that expensive back then)

Comment

I love bacon threads.

Comment

I have some on day 4 of curing .

Comment

Op my next batch I’m going to follow your instructions.
                            I have done about 10 5lb bellies to this point and the very first was great the rest have been good including the batch I just packaged up today. After the first batch everything was almost to salty ( mainly because I can’t find the original recipes)
                            These two I just finished are not quite salty enough. I used more brown sugar than salt and I always use cure salt mix in. It’s good just needed to sprinkle some salt on it when I tested it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Flywise, your bacon looks good! Another option to buying a slicer is look at online auctions. Lots of used restaurant equipment gets put on those auctions and you can buy them for a few hundred bucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X