sausage stuffer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sausage stuffer question

Yes , I know it may be a strange time of the year to be asking a sausage making question, but I did put up some summer sausage today.

For those of you with an old Enterprise or even a LEM with the worm gear type mechanism, what do you use to lubricate the gears?

I have been having a difficult time turning the Enterprise several winters ago. It was really cold so I blamed it on the cold meat being harder to stuff. It was so tough that we actually went and bought the little canister LEM type.

Well, today the LEM was tough to turn so I broke out the Enterprise to finish up. I have been using a food grade silicone spray. But I noticed that the worm gear on the LEM actually has some "burrs" on the the gears and it is really hard to turn in those spots. So I put some cooking oil on the Enterprise and that seemed to help . I believe the old timers usually just used tallow or pork fat.

Pam spray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
      Pam spray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep

Comment

Mineral oil

Comment

Crisco

Comment

Mineral oil. Over time most anything else will gunk up and make it hard to turn.

Comment

Cooking oil in general. I but a gallon at a time and pour some in a spray bottle at my station to hose everything down after clean up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Kinda pricey but they do sell a gear reduction system for the old eneterprise stuffers. I think San Antonio belt and pulley has them on their website under misc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Crisco

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I probably need to give the old Enterprise a thorough cleaning and then pick one that won't gunk it up.

Comment

Iam sure you already know, but make sure you add plenty of cold water, liquid to your sausage before you begin to stuff it. Makes things sooooooo much easier. I about sent back ( threw away ) a lem becuse it was so hard to crank. This took care of it.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                        Iam sure you already know, but make sure you add plenty of cold water, liquid to your sausage before you begin to stuff it. Makes things sooooooo much easier. I about sent back ( threw away ) a lem becuse it was so hard to crank. This took care of it.
                        What he said. Sounds like the meat is too stiff.

Comment

Thanks, critter69 and kmitchl.

Comment

Look on line for food grade grease. This will not gum up and will clean up easier than veg oil. Also good to wipe on plates and knife etc to prevent rust.
                            The Sausage Maker or Allied Kenco will have it and lots of other places.

Comment

You could just stuff coming off the grinder. Way easier and faster.

Comment

Working...
                              X