Canning Meat (Venison). My Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    I took some down to South Padre with me last weekend and was nervous to try it. I can tell you that I won't hesitate to cook with it, especially when camping, hunting or in need of a quick meal. It wasn't just "acceptable", it was actually quite tasty.

If daddy's says it's good though... it's probably good!

He hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We take canned meat when we camp and can enjoy solid meals most every night out. BTW, Canned Duck can be good, REALLY good. All depends on the chef.

Comment

I need to try this also

Comment

Originally posted by Michaela View Post
          If daddy's says it's good though... it's probably good!

He hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Don't be kissing up now..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            Don't be kissing up now..

You saw that brown on her nose did ya? [emoji57]

Comment

Thanks for the post on this. I have been on the fence about this. I will give it a shot.
              Does anyone put in other seasonings besides salt?

Comment

Originally posted by breese View Post
                Thanks for the post on this. I have been on the fence about this. I will give it a shot.
                Does anyone put in other seasonings besides salt?
                I've contemplated adding additional seasoning, and I may make a few mostly "finished" recipes (chili, carne guisada, etc.") but I mostly want to have an ingredient that I can put in various recipes and season as I go. I guess it depends on how you prefer to utilize the ingredient.
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Well...now I am disappointed I didn't taste. Bring some to the next lease weekend and I promise to not make a face

Comment

This has been on my mind for a while. Might start small and see how it goes...

Comment

[QUOTE=bboswell;12855483]You saw that brown on her nose did ya? [emoji57][/

Who? Me, never! [emoji1326]

Comment

[quote=Michaela;12855768]
                        Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                        You saw that brown on her nose did ya? [emoji57][/

Who? Me, never! [emoji1326]

No use denying girl, it happens [emoji16]

Comment

Chili works well. I have done cold piack stew meat. If you do burger brown it first. My favorites are breakfast sausage patties and roast in brown gravy.

Comment

I have heard of canning meat for years

Lady that comes in where my wife works was there one day and mentioned that they can moose.
                            Offered me some and brought it by and gave to the wife, I was hesitant but it was pretty dang good.
                            She suggested and we followed her advice, poured over a baked potato and it was delicious

Comment

Originally posted by Mohawkman View Post
                              Chili works well. I have done cold piack stew meat. If you do burger brown it first. My favorites are breakfast sausage patties and roast in brown gravy.
                              I want to can finished chili, as well as ground meat and sausage. I'm liking the possibilities!
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

My mamma used to make smother-fried venison and gravy and can it... It was a staple for camp dinners for us for years... My wife and I really enjoyed doing the vegetable canning and pickles this past spring/summer. We talked about canning venison too... I'm thinking on getting a pressure canner too so that we can speed up the process... I know it's good groceries, it's just the time it takes to do the canning that has always made me so hesitant about doing it.

Great thread Michael. Thanks for sharing... and your threads without pics... well that just ain't gonna cut it! If the pic rule applies to us minions, it should apply to you too!

Comment

Working...
                                X