"almost" a great photo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"almost" a great photo...

Just missed the shot I wanted. But managed to get this one. He was just a bit too quick for me to have everything ready when he leaped over that fence.

I did get some consolation shots of a White-tailed hawk having a mouse for breakfast though!
    Attached Files

thats awesome i love wildlife

Comment

Sweet photos!

Comment

Still beautiful. Awesome shots

Comment

Almost???!! I think it IS a great photo. Looking for wildlife photos to print and frame to decorate my kids' house at college on San Angelo. I would love to have a copy of that if your willing to share it

Comment

Mjjust, thanks. It is interesting alright, even if it's not exactly what I was hoping for. I was literally 1 second too late on the trigger.

PM me with your email and I'll send you a file.

John

Comment

I think both pics look great, and now you have more experience to catch him jumping next time

Comment

Better watch out... alot of folks dont like "fence line hunters" here.

Great pics!

Comment

Cool pics!!!

Comment

Great shots!!!

Comment

If money were no object what would the best wildlife telephoto lens you would buy for a Canon SLR?

Comment

Cool pics

Comment

Great pics

Comment

great stuff

Comment

Thanks guys. I had buck fever with my freakin' camera! LOL! It all happened so fast I was fumbling around.

Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
                              If money were no object what would the best wildlife telephoto lens you would buy for a Canon SLR?
                              There really is no "best" wildlife lens. Everything is a compromise. The pro's will use everything from a small 300/f4 up to a 600/f4 plus teleconverters. I think Canon even has an 800 prime now. They are HUGE lenses, and impossible to hand-hold, which means you're married to a tripod or at best, a window mount. Forget about walking around with one for more than 20 minutes.

Canon's newest "must have" wildlife and sports lens is a 200-400/f4 with a built in 1.4X teleconverter, which gives you the option of making it a 280-560mm lens by flipping a switch. It also has Image Stabilization and is "nearly" small enough to hand hold. However, it also costs $12,000 !!!

Most wildlife pros swear by their 500/f4 or 600/f4 lenses. If I had a stack of cash, I'd probably get a 500/f4 with image stabilization next. It's a reasonable size and the next logical step up from my Tamron 200-500. But we're still talking $5000.00 for a clean used one.

My lens doesn't have IS, but it is very compact and lightweight and easy to hand-hold for a lens that goes to 500mm.

Tamron is coming out with a new 150-600mm zoom that's supposed to be a killer lens, with their "vibration reduction" technology, and it's going to be priced at $1069.00 new. I think I may have to get one. It's being heralded as the next great wildlife lens for amateurs.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X