Deer liver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer liver

So I used to hate beef liver, but I tried it again recently and I like it now. I've never heard of anybody cooking deer liver so I have to ask... Can you cook deer liver? if so how do yall cook it? Thanks

Don't know why you could not eat it. I never have deer liver but if it tastes like beef liver it's got to be good. I pan fry it with onions, peppers and tomatoes.

Comment

I'm sure you "can" but I have never heard of anyone that has...

Comment

Ol timers do all the time.
        Or cook and feed to the dogs.

Comment

I have tried it a time or two. Funny, but one time I thought it was great and the other time I didn't like it. Maybe I had it a little too long in the freezer. But I simply dredged in flour and pan fried it. I believe I also made gravy with lots of onions. Simmered in the gravy for a while.

Comment

Ive heard of folks that do it, and have heard its real good. It crossed my mind to grab the liver out of my deer this morning, but I guess I had a lazy bone in my body this morning. If you're asking if its going to make you sick or kill you, I don't think you have anything to worry about there. May just have a different taste. Try it out and let us know!

Comment

I've thought about it and plan to do so this season.

First off, I don't think any organ meat freezes well so eat it at camp or within a few days.

Second, I spoke to my butcher and would recommend that anyone else do so as well. He was cutting a beef liver at the time and showed me what to look for.....

As you cut through the center of it, you'll notice some hollow pockets about the size of a BB. If they're clean your good to go. If they have a white or yellow fatty like substance in them, Throw it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                I've thought about it and plan to do so this season.

First off, I don't think any organ meat freezes well so eat it at camp or within a few days.

Second, I spoke to my butcher and would recommend that anyone else do so as well. He was cutting a beef liver at the time and showed me what to look for.....

As you cut through the center of it, you'll notice some hollow pockets about the size of a BB. If they're clean your good to go. If they have a white or yellow fatty like substance in them, Throw it out.
                What is the white or yellow fatty substance? Alcohol?

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                  What is the white or yellow fatty substance? Alcohol?
                  Too much vanilla

Comment

Originally posted by mgbuff View Post
                    too much vanilla
                    lol

Comment

Hell yes, I do! Smothered in onions served over rice.

Comment

When I was a kid, my dad would always fry up the liver of the first deer killed. Me my brother ate it up like crazy. It was a tradition that we did religiously. If you like beef liver,you'll love deer liver.

Comment

I never have but hunted with a guy that wouldn't leave it behind and would take everyone else's that didn't want it, which was everyone and said it was very good.

Comment

Liver, onions,mashed potatoes, and gravy very delicious!

Comment

The liver and heart are my two favorite pieces to eat off of a deer. Heart is way better than the tenderloins or blackstrap. Can't believe you guys don't eat the liver or heart

Comment

Working...
                              X