East TX is killing me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East TX is killing me...

Well I got on a lease close to the house in Conroe. It's a nice place about 2200 ac and has a ton of deer and hog on it. The problem is the Poachers thay are BAD...They are locals comming in on 4 wheelers and in the last two months we have had 6 feeders taken. I have only lost one. It was one I was given by a lease member so I'm not out any money, still ticks me off though.

My problem is I know if I put out any bow blinds they will walk for sure.. I'm thinking of just putting up some cattle panels and brushing them in and calling it good and pouring corn on the ground or in some type of tube feeder.

What tics me off even more is I have some great bow stands and feeders just setting in the yard and can't use them...

Man I hate a thief.....

Get you local gw involved. They will be able to track them and put a stop to it.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about thefts. A local game warden told me a few years ago that he sure missed working in East Texas -- things were never dull for him when he was stationed there.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
        They are locals comming in on 4 wheelers.
        We had this problem one time on our place. Kinda hard to keep people out where there isn't any kind of fence.
        So, what we did (keep in mind this was before game cameras were out) was put spikes on the trail they were using. We put ours out right inside the property line so nobody on our lease would run over them. Never did catch the guy but after a couple months later, his 4 wheeler tracks disappeared.

Comment

i feel your pain! just lost a camera set up in east tx!

Comment

Yep, kinda sad in this day and age for sure!
            Cameras and locks on everything would be my suggestion.

Comment

Yes local GW will help for sure. Make sure all members have stickers on their vehicles and ATVs. then get the GW to patrol. We had a problem on ours till some got 200-400 fines for treaspassing. Stopped it real fast. Also its expensive but we put up hidden Trail cams where they would not expect them. IF cams. Got pics of lic plates.

Comment

spikes are my thoughts as well... The only problem is the guy running the lease hog hunts with dogs in the off season so I'm going to have to get with him abvout were to put them.. He is putting out game cams in the trails to try and get photos of the poachers... It's a shame things have to come to this....
                Last edited by sharkhunter; 08-16-2009, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Trail cams and print the pictures asking anyone to come forward with info.
                  Post them all over the place and stores.
                  That alone might be enough to stop them if they end up seeig theirself on a store bulliton or window.

Comment

Climbers & hand corn sound like your way around the theft of deer stands & feeders.

During season I sometimes cable-lock my climber to the tree when I leave it overnight if it is near a 4 wheeler trail.

Since it is somewhat close, a weekly trip with a bag of corn thrown out will keep the deer coming to the same area.

Since theft is an issue, Game cams should be on game trails only- no feeder cams.

The bigger buck pics will come off hand corn way sooner than a feeder cam in ET anyways.

Sounds a lot like my Splendora lease used to be.
                    It seems like the trespassing & 4 wheeler riders come in waves out there- hot & heavy for a while & then nothing for a while.

Good luck with it, why some people feel they have free access on private land is beyond me. More tickets written will hit them hard enough to stop or at least slow down.

Comment

Exactly why I sold off my 250 acres in East Texas... to some rich yankee from Houston..

Comment

I'm in the same boat with you.. So I just walked through the brush and found me a nice little spot to put my stuff. I carried all of my stuff to the spot to set it up. about 100 yards off the closest road. It makes it a pain in the rear end but nobody will know its there but you, if you don't cut a road going to your set-up. I have found this the best way to keep my stuff from getting stolen.

Comment

Had the same problem, and had to pull my feeder so it wouldnt get stolen. Started just hand throwin corn 2 or 3 times per week and last season shot my best buck yet. But your right, I hate seeing it just sittin in my garage

Comment

Is this the lease off of 1486 behind the golf course?

Comment

exactly why I got off my lease in E. Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X