DFW area Termite/Pest control advice??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DFW area Termite/Pest control advice??

Any advice on who to use on termite and pest control. I currently have Terminix and feel like I'm getting ripped off. I have just started shopping around to see what I can find and figured I would ask here as well.

What are some fair rates??

Terminix has me paying Pest Control and Termite Control as two separate deals.

after much research and asking people "in the know" , I decided to DIY

I had a small colony of termites that I caught early, and the normal bugs : roaches, ants, silverfish, fleas, spiders, etc ....

I bought Taurus SC 9.1% Fipronil and now treat my own house (Taurus SC is the generic version of Termidor SC. Termidor 10 year contract with BASF ran out and generic version now available to public at basically 1/2 the price.)

did the termite treatment as recommended , then followed directions to dilute and spray my patio , and interior of house for bugs

Purchased from a Texas company (see below) as the girl who helped me was extremely courteous and was very knowledgeable about ALL insects and pests

I almost bought the Talstar professional insecticide but went with the Taurus SC . Cost $100 ( 78 ozs.) shipped to my door and worth every penny - all bugs gone as I am very satisfied. Figuring if it lasts 2 years, spraying every 45 days for insects and once a year for termites , my out of pocket expense is $50 a year and mama is happy

http://www.solutionsstores.com/Tauru...m?1=1&CartID=1
    Last edited by Cajun Blake; 08-19-2014, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Man thanks a lot for the info. I am paying almost $1,000/yr right now.
      I am going to try your system and DIY.

Any more feedback or suggestions welcomed thanks.

Comment

I don't have any insects due to a large population of Gecko's but I have had plenty of experience with termites. I don't recall the name but in ground cylinders buried every 10' around the foundation did the trick. I looked to see if they could be purchased without using a exterminator but no such luck. The bait in the cylinder can be removed to check for any activity. It has been 4 years and no termites and I have yet to replace a cylinder...I don't remember the cost but it was money well spent.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy D Mercer View Post
          I don't have any insects due to a large population of Gecko's but I have had plenty of experience with termites. I don't recall the name but in ground cylinders buried every 10' around the foundation did the trick. I looked to see if they could be purchased without using a exterminator but no such luck. The bait in the cylinder can be removed to check for any activity. It has been 4 years and no termites and I have yet to replace a cylinder...I don't remember the cost but it was money well spent.
          Diypest control sells the canisters

Comment

They don't have the brand that was used on my house. I am sure those would work but probably need replaced more often. Good info!!

Comment

I know this thread is really old but I need help. I accidentally sprayed some Taurus SC inside in several areas. Don’t plan on going inside house for a couple days but should I try to remove with soap and water or will it dry and be ok? Have a wife and two year old at home also. Thanks for any help

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnylab View Post
                Any advice on who to use on termite and pest control. I currently have Terminix and feel like I'm getting ripped off. I have just started shopping around to see what I can find and figured I would ask here as well.

What are some fair rates??

Terminix has me paying Pest Control and Termite Control as two separate deals.
                I worked pest control for a year in Austin. If you are going with the larger companies like abc and terminex its like going to the dealership with your car!!! They gonna rape u. Go with a smaller company...shop around

Comment

I think we are using terminex. We had termites that had been in the house for a while but luckily they were just in the master bath. I had to rip out the master shower and replace several studs then had the inside of the house treated and all the way around the outside of the house for about 1200 and I think the yearly maintenance fee is about 150 or so. The termites had also gotten the back fence which I am now replacing. Joys of owning a home.

Comment

Working...
                  X