Altitude Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Altitude Question

My kid will be playing sports in Colorado this month. The coach was saying oxygen in a can is a must. Never heard of it before but he says you can’t fly with it. Anyone know what this is or where to get it?

Originally posted by brysdad View Post
    My kid will be playing sports in Colorado this month. The coach was saying oxygen in a can is a must. Never heard of it before but he says you can’t fly with it. Anyone know what this is or where to get it?
    I played in a Triple Crown World Series in Steamboat Springs, CO when I was 14. We did some extra running at practice for the several weeks prior to going to the tournament, but I don’t remember ever being affected by the altitude to where it had an impact on my performance. This was baseball, so it might make a difference if you’re playing soccer or basketball which requires more running.

Comment

You might check a medical supply store
      But, I don't see it being that big a deal

Comment

Ya, it’s soccer. Lots of running.

Comment

Not sure where your going but I seen the cans of oxygen in almost every store I went in last week there. Seen some people using them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
            You might check a medical supply store
            But, I don't see it being that big a deal
            I’ve played many a football game at Falcon stadium. It’s a big deal.

Comment

Just checked a calculator that says there is 20% less oxygen saturation in Steamboat Springs than central Texas. Gonna be tough to run in that when not acclimated. We’ll be driving from Denver to Steamboat.
              Last edited by brysdad; 07-11-2018, 07:48 PM.

Comment

I’ve seen those things sold everywhere as well

Saw them in gas stations as we drove the state

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Go up a few days early and he'll be fine

Comment

[QUOTE=Freight Mover;13480372]I’ve seen those things sold everywhere as well

Good deal. I guess it’s a common thing up there then.

Comment

[quote=brysdad;13480377]
                      Originally posted by Freight Mover View Post
                      I’ve seen those things sold everywhere as well

Good deal. I guess it’s a common thing up there then.
                      Make sure he stays hydrated. Some good electrolyte mix’s out to that will help.
                      We use to laugh at Hawaii, they would cramp up bad, thats even after them coming a week early.

Comment

[quote=Texans42;13480403]
                        Originally posted by brysdad View Post

Make sure he stays hydrated. Some good electrolyte mix’s out to that will help.
                        We use to laugh at Hawaii, they would cramp up bad, thats even after them coming a week early.
                        Any suggestions on this? We’re the only out of state team in our bracket so we’re behind the 8 ball going in just due to altitude.

Comment

Acli-Mate Mountain Sport Drink is a natural altitude sickness remedy for prevention and relief of high altitude sickness or elevation sickness.

This stuff works.

Comment

This is probably what he is talking about:

I bought a few cans to take to Angel Fire since we stay at ~8900 ft, and it is easy to get short of breath. Lots of flatlander skiers and hikers use these when they are not adjusted to the altitude. The jury is still out for me as to whether they work or not.

Comment

Honestly, oxygen in a can sounds like something I'd tell someone when I was jacking with them.

My first thought was, is this like a Keystone tallboy? What do you shotgun it?

Comment

Working...
                              X