Oh well, at least we got some longer-range practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh well, at least we got some longer-range practice

We had a club shoot on Saturday and Sunday. I met up with Featherflinger and a handful of trad shooters and headed off towards target #1. On the way we crossed paths with one of the club board members and asked him which of the 4 stakes were for trad shooters - he told us to shoot from the blue. After a while Jeff commented that these were some fairly long shots - almost all of the 30 targets were between 20 and 25 yards. When I saw the results posted I was very surprised to see how well the top 4 or 5 scored, given the distances. Then Jeff sent me a text - something like "guess what, we were shooting from the wrong stake!" DOH! I wasn't shooting particularly well so I'm not saying I would have placed if I'd shot from the right stakes - but it did make me feel a little better about being so far behind the winner! It also made me realize how I need to stretch it a bit in practice and get out of my comfort zone...

We all need to stretch out some at times. I sometimes shoot from the bowhunter stakes for this reason. It also seems to me that over the last 15 - 20 years, the trad distances at 3-D shoots have gotten closer.

Comment

doh

Comment

That's funny right there, all club members are not created equal, lol.

Comment

It was a sad text that I got from him! I think he was ready to sell all his bows for a while there!

First place was only 70ish points ahead of him!

I bet y'all pay attn better next time!!!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            It was a sad text that I got from him! I think he was ready to sell all his bows for a while there!

First place was only 70ish points ahead of him!

I bet y'all pay attn better next time!!!

Bisch
            My bad shooting may have rubbed off on him at Cowtown, but I hear he turned it around the next day at Denton!

Comment

It happened to me the first time I went out to shoot 3d with Sacagawea. I didn't realize until 2 shoots later that we were shooting from the bow hunter stakes. Needless to say, my scores jumped up after I was corrected.

Good times!

Comment

I wish that I could that hasn't ever happened to me, but.......

it never has

Comment

I haven't gotten into the competitive/comparative aspect of 3D just yet. I'm going to shoot from whatever stake seems reasonable.

Comment

I doubt I could have beat you guys even if you were shooting from the wrong stake and me at the kid stake. I wish I could have been there to rub it in on Jeff though.

Comment

Ha! After missing 3 for the first 8 25-30 yard shots I couldn't really recover. It was already in my head. I should've known better but I thought maybe things were different for the new year and they decided to make things harder.

Comment

Working...
                      X