How long to take to cottonseed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to take to cottonseed?

I've had mine out for three weeks now and they're barely touching it. I put corn around the base initially, and I've got pics of them eating the cottonseed a little, but I woulda thought they would have been on it by now. How long did it take yalls deer to start hitting it hard?

Following

Comment

Just a couple of days for us

Comment

If you are the only one doing it. It could take along time. I believe that is my problem.
        They aren't use to it and its something new out there
        I've had it out since about Sept and they are just now starting to hit it pretty good

Comment

It took a couple weeks at our place. I think it depends on location also, depending on rut. I feed it year around and they will go through four bags a month but since they started rutting they have not touched it the whole month of December. So just give it time.

Comment

Almost immediately for us. Just keep it there, they will start eating it and then look out.

Comment

it took almost two years for them to really take to it in the panhandle. But once they got it, it took off.

Comment

There is alot of stuff growing before the freeze....I think they will be looking at it soon

Comment

Originally posted by Thegutman View Post
                  It took a couple weeks at our place. I think it depends on location also, depending on rut. I feed it year around and they will go through four bags a month but since they started rutting they have not touched it the whole month of December. So just give it time.
                  You are aware that the gossypol in the cotton seed very possibly will make your bucks sterile, right? It is highly recommended that you remove all cotton seed from the field at least 2 months before rut to give them time to work the gossypol out of their systems and to reintroduce the cotton seed a couple of weeks after all rut activity has stopped. (Including secondary and even third ruts)

Comment

It took a couple of months for them to get used to it on our place.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                      It took a couple of months for them to get used to it on our place.
                      Do you all feed pelleted protein in addition to cottonseed?

Comment

Yes, we feed both protein and cottonseed in the same pen.

Comment

I don’t feed cottonseed but my thinking is that sometimes when a new food source is introduced a deer will nibble at it and see how their stomach reacts and/or to give their stomcach time to get used to the new food.

So it just may take a little time if they aren’t used to it in your area. Again just just my thinking. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                            Yes, we feed both protein and cottonseed in the same pen.
                            I have been feeding pellets for years but just started feeding cottonseed as well this year. It seems that they have hardly touched the cottonseed though.

Comment

Fellow I know told me he had to put a layer of cottonseed, then corn, then cottonseed, etc to get 'em started---down in the Tilden area.

Comment

Working...
                              X